From:
Meryl Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:20:35 -0800
I was browsing the HSUS site today since someone I know is now director
of the local Fund for Animals (funded/co-owned by HSUS) shelter in
Ramona, CA. The Ramona shelter takes in wildlife and exotics (big cats.
circus animals etc). As I looked through the main HSUS site I noticed
they have a photo contest with some prizes. First, as I browsed the
pics I saw only cats and dogs and thought those were the only animals
being entered, however I saw in the rules that a whole lot of domestic
animals are allowed as competitors - including ferrets. I'm not that
great of a photographer and the animals I know of wish to stay
anonymous (they said they would pee in my shoes if I sent their photos
in) so thought I'd give you folks in other states a chance. Anyway,
here's the link
<http://photocontest.humanesociety.org/contest.html?page=rules&contestId=3>

Contest ends in February 25.

This is a part of the rules (listed in the above link):

"You may enter as many photos and stories as you would like in the
Contest. However, keep in mind that if you plan on participating in the
Fundraisers category you may not combine votes across your entries.
Total vote count is associated with each pet photo -- not each email
address or account.

The Contest is limited to the following pets: dogs, cats, rabbits,
horses, burros, donkeys, mules, miniature horses, hamsters, gerbils,
guinea pigs, ferrets, mice, rats, pigs, chickens, goats, sheep,
canaries, budgies, cockatiels, zebra finches, society finches,
lovebirds, and freshwater aquarium fish. "

Part of the grand prizes description is
"The Grand Prize Winner of the Judged Category will also receive a
photo and story featured as Pet of the Week in an email in March 2011
and in the Jan/Feb 2011 issue of All Animals magazine, a slot in the
slideshow announcement of winners on The HSUS homepage in March 2011,
a copy of Robert B. Haas' book "I Dreamed of Flying Like a Bird," plus
a $500 shopping spree to Humane Domain, The HSUS's online store.
(<http://www.humanedomain.com>)
Valued at $1,917.95, this prize is courtesy of Humane Domain, Amanda
Jones and Robert B. Haas. "

[Moderator's note: The following links were in this post and are also
on the rules web page mentioned above but they didn't work for me. BIG]

<http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/pets_for_life_e-newsletter_gets_041108.html>
<http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/humane_society_magazines_and_newsletters/all_animals/>

The first entries I looked at were all cats and dogs.

By the way, on another note, I asked three people here in southern
California what they thought of the latest child bite incident in
Florida. Not one of them knew of it. Each asked why the parents did
not wake up. They aren't animal owners, but do listen to the news and
watch TV. It hasn't been in the local SoCal newspapers - nothing in
the online LATimes, nothing in the online SF chronicle. Nothing on the
radio. Interesting, since it would seem to be somewhat newsworthy. I
have not seen myself heard or seen anything on the news here either.

Meryl