From:
Larry Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:00:30 -0500
When we get contacted about adoption, we always push education before
adoption. I do not ever hesitate to say "Ferrets are not for everyone,
you need to do some research to be sure they are for you." Then I point
the to "Ferrets for Dummies" - many libraries have it, and even if they
don't it's not that expensive. If there are kids, I recommend to the
parents that they have the kids do a lot of the research and then
"sell" the idea back to Mom and Dad. That way it becomes a family
project, and kids see what they are getting signed up for, since,
hopefully, they will be providing some of the care.

I also warn potential adopters about costs and vet bills. I always feel
funny about this, but I need to know that they are ready for the ready
for the financial commitment. We have had too many naked, or very sick
ferrets get surrendered, because "I can't afford the vet bills." I
actually had one man tell me he couldn't afford the adrenal surgery,
but then he asked if he could adopt the ferret back after the surgery
was done! I just looked at the guy and asked him if he would like to
take my car as well.. Some people seem to think there is a money spigot
somewhere that pays for shelters. Another guy asked "Can you make a lot
of money running a shelter?" (but I digress - let me get back to the
topic..)

Anyway, as rescuers and shelters, and just plain animal advocates, it
is CLEARLY our job to educate people. I wish that pet stores would also
do it, but I also wish that I could win the lottery...

I've had a couple of people that were offended that I asked so many
questions, but I simply tell them that I consider my job to be speaking
for the animals. If that means asking hard questions, so be it. If they
don't like it, then they are not going to adopt from us.

If the people are starting to look nervous that maybe there is no good
reason to adopt a ferret, I simply tell them the best reason is this.
When I am having a bad day, and everything is going wrong, I just get
down on the floor with the ferrets, and let them climb all over me. It
is absolutely impossible to be a bad mood when a ferret is climbing up
your pant leg!

Larry Anderson

Scales and Tails Rescue