Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 19:45:09 -0500
Chewing wood furniture? No. Just digging and shredding soft furniture
and not all ferrets do that. Very common however.

Chewing wires? It's not common but it happens far more than you'd
think. Especially with teething kits. I remember Mike Janke had a story
about a horrible case of a ferret chewing through a wire burning and
electrocuting itself up on his old Miami health site. I'm not sure, but
I think Dr Debra Cottrell treated him. Its been almost ten years, so I
forget. I do remember the FML discussing this once however and people
sharing ideas on how to prevent it. I've had a couple ferrets that had
an issue with it. So I sprayed Bitter Apple on the wires ever day. Some
FML'ers shared that there is a cream like Bitter Apple that you can
put on wires. Others said there are plastic wire covers you can use.
Todays' wires are a great concern though because some electronics use
particularly soft rubber like coatings on their wires. Very tempting
for a ferret. I've not had an issue, but then again, my "spagetti
monsters" are hidden away where a ferret can go. And the soft speaker
wires and such are tucked under the rug. Anyway, given the fact that
its not a rare occurance and that it can be fatal, it is good that
they did mention it.

Wolfy