From:
Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:12:30 -0500
Hello Becky and other readers.

The casing the melatonin implant (Ferretonin) is in does not erode,
rather it is a thin shell that remains after the melatonin slow
release is finished. We have been using these implants at Ferret Wise
since 2001 and have had absolutely no problems with any aspect of the
Ferretonin implant. We have opted NOT to remove the multiple casings
and do have ferrets with multiple shells still under the skin. It is
strictly a cosmetic issue, not a health concern.

The reaction you mentioned on your ferret sounds like a low blood
glucose reaction which could easily be attributed to the stress of
the vet call / implant administration. We always have recommended a
baseline (blood work) with older ferrets so you are prepared for
stress or other reactions at any vet appointment.

In our assessment the melatonin implants have excluded complications
of urethral swelling due to prostate enlargement in male ferrets with
hyper adrenal issues. We have NOT had to have a adrenal surgery to
correct this condition in many years since utilizing melatonin implants
used in 90 day cycles.

Nor have we had any health complications in ferrets receiving the
implants. We currently have 9 ferrets on 90 day implant cycles at
Ferret Wise and all are doing exceedingly well. The ones we have lost
recently were all due to unrelated cancers ( necropsy verified).

More information on the implant can be found on the website:
http://www.melatek.net/

At Ferret Wise we believe through experience that this is a safe and
effective way of delaying / preventing hyper adrenal complications in
neutered ferrets, providing them with quality of life in older years.
We hope that once you understand the technology and process of
utilizing ferretonin implants you will agree.

Fondly in ferrets,

Alicia at www.ferretwise.org