From:
Amanda Riddlebaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2011 14:46:37 -0500
I saw someone write an article about the "evil pet stores" saying how
well Petco cares for their pets.

As far as I know, Petco does take good care of their animals. Most
Petcos I would say. How Petco receives these animals is what seems
cruel to me (but thats off topic). After the animals make it to the
store, it seems they're usually well taken care of.

I've been to many Petcos since I've lived in many different places.
I'm usually very satisfied with their prices and animal care. The last
Petco I went to; however, wasn't being as responsible as I thought they
should be. A month after my ferret Stitches passed I felt it was time
to perhaps give another ferret a home. I searched the town for unwanted
ferrets first but there weren't any. After that I moved to my next
option which was to drive to Las Cruces and look at the ferrets at
Petco.

The ferret exhibit was appalling. The Carefresh they put in the glass
exhibit was soiled, the food was soiled, and they had a can of what
looked like soft food open for the ferrets but it was being eaten by
flies. When I finally got an employee to assist me in opening the cage
she said, "Sorry they smell bad, they've been rolling in their own poop
all day." I replied, "Well they wouldn't have to if you'd clean the
cage". I did buy a small male kit (for the wonderful price of 99$). He
was very aggressive, a little underweight, and not socialized but those
problems were soon corrected after weeks of spending time with him and
feeding him a higher quality food.

I have not been back to this Petco since to check up on this. I did
call in a complaint to Petco so I hope they did fix this problem. This
is not so much Petco's fault though. The dirty cage was probably caused
by lazy, irresponsible employees.