From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2011 07:11:25 -0500
Having worked at Petco, I know that they are probably the most
responsible chain pet store in regard to caring for their animals.
They really believe animals come first, but things happen.

At my store, I took a ferret to an emergency vet on a Sunday because he
had what looked like massive bruising on his belly. The vet, who was
not experienced with ferrets, kept him overnight on fluids. I rushed
him the next morning to the vet and by the time I had gotten back to
the store, the ferret had almost died while being xrayed and was
already in surgery for what they thought was a blockage...turned out
to be eosinophilic gastroenteritis. That ferret was bouncing around
when the vet came in the next day...surprising everyone because they
thought that he would be dead.

I have also rushed hamsters, chameleon's, guinea pigs and birds to
the vet for life threatening illnesses and know that Petco has spend
thousands upon thousands of dollars on vet care for animals and then
adopted them out to good home because they do not allow animals that
have been through surgery to be bought by customers. The ferret
surgery alone was several thousands of dollars.

They also buy fresh vegetables and fruit for the birds, reptiles and
guinea pigs, all per policy. This discussion has gone around before
and, yes, there are always the exceptions, but it is up to the
customers to make sure that the animals are being treated and cared
for properly and the store is maintaining company policy in the care
of their animals. Petco investigates all complaints and even has
surprise visits to the store just to check on animal care.

[SG]