Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2010 13:57:17 -0600
To those of you who have been considering obtaining 501(C)(3) status--
I would like to share some experience with you.

To the anonymus poster from yesterday "Something for everyone...well
not EVERYONE..." a few thoughts, as well :)

We ran our sanctuary for four years before seeking our 501(C)(3.)
People generousy donated bedding, toys & food to us, LONG before we got
our government status. Our reason for wanting the 501(C)(3) was to give
those generous people & businesses a tax break, in thanks for all they
had done for us. The Ferret Store (later bought by Fosters & Smith) was
already giving us a discount, as well as many other businesses. Path
Valley was always good to us--and our vets have always given a 20%
discount, as well. The 501(C)(3) changed none of this.

I have learned that most gifts are given from the heart, and not for
the receipt (although a couple of the larger companies like Petco
Foundation do claim the donations at tax time.)

We have always been grateful for every gift, no matter how small--as
for the giver, it may have involved a GREAT sacrifice. Years ago, a
woman sent the bedding & toys that had belonged to the sweet furchild
she had just lost. The bedding was pilly & full of holes, there was
half a bottle of shampoo etc--but it was packed with such love. It was
all she had to give--and the thought of throwing his things away was
probably just too much to bear. She sent a picture of him in the
box--and I was so touched at the thought of how much she had loved
him, that I sat there & cried. This was 11 years ago. I could have
complained about the "junk" she sent--but instead, I wrote a thank you,
and a letter of sympathy to a grieving ferrent. I never forgot her. A
501(C)3) would have made no difference.

I have learned that a 501(C)(3) has not increased our donations.
There's a lot of work & expense involved. You must form a corporation,
file with the county, then apply with the IRS for status--and it isn't
easy. (Our papers came back three times!!!) We were very fortunate. I
took pictures of our furkids (all 56 at the time) to the accountant
when I was looking into the 501(C)(3) and I asked how terrible the cost
would be. He said he hadn't done one in a while, but we'd give it a
gander. Not to worry just yet about the fee. That wonderful man donated
his services to us--$1200. worth, and thanked us for what we were doing
for the animals.

Anonymus--and not having the 501c is only a hardship because that
little number will get you the right to do so many things to generate
income and help and discounts etc., etc. The ones who, for whatever
reason don't have their 501c need more help than anybody else if the
truth be known!

We are not in competition with one another--we are all in this
together. It is for the ferrets, which is something all to often
forgotten. A 501(C)(3) might make one appear more "credible" because
they're difficult to get, but at the end of the day, it hasn't changed
things that much for us.

When we hear that another shelter got a big donation, or a grant, or
help of some kind, we are thrilled--not jealous. It means some little
fuzzies somewhere out there will be doing better :)

Again, do not be afraid to invite visitors & let them see what you
do. Some of our best donations have come from people who visited our
sanctuary--even before we got our 501(C)(3)

Love,
Zoo