Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 02:22:46 -0400
I am pretty sure that Deslorelin implants will not lead to an
addisonian crisis... only removal of the adrenal glands will. But
perhaps you can read more about this.

And as far as the interaction of a Deslorelin implant with insulinoma
and any treatments for insulinoma, I have read that the implant might
actually help insulinoma, and I did in fact experience this with my
girl Trinny. So, you may be blaming yourself or the Deslorelin implant
for leading to your girl's demise, when there is no basis for doing so.

A BG reading of 40 is serious stuff, but there are things besides
insulinoma which can cause this, like carcinomas, pancreatitis, or
lymphoma, any of which might escalate rapidly and make the ferret
basically unresponsive to prednisolone in final stages.

The other thing is that, in your post, you don't say whether you used
prednisone or prednisolone. If you used prednisone, then it must be
metabolized into prednisolone by the liver, and a compromised liver
might be unable to do so, making the prednisone more or less useless.

There are a lot of possibilities as to what may have happened, but my
feeling is that it's highly unlikely that your girl's rapid demise had
anything at all to do with the Deslorelin implant. Far too often, I've
really had no definitive cause of death when having to put one of my
little ones to sleep. We can make our ‘best guess', and it can be
very frustrating to not know all of the answers, but when you don't,
you have to keep an open mind as to what the possibilities might have
been, so as to learn from the experience and perhaps use that knowledge
in the future.

Jeff
In Loving Memory of Neo, Trinity, Morphy, Possum, Pip, Pop, Hunny,
Sabrina, Minnie Mouse, Misty, Frodo, Baggins, and Mr. Parker
Caring for Luna, Baby Girl, and Dozer