From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:30:50 +0000
Actually, unlike what was stated in the FML yesterday ferrets *can*
and *do* go feral. I can't speak to the California issue, but I have
personally seen feral ferrets on the South Island of New Zealand with
my own eyes. Not "I got a glimpse" or "I thought I saw"...no. My
husband and I saw a feral ferret on our honeymoon, scampering across
and alongside the road as the sun set. We got a good, long look at
Mister Ferret. He looked exactly like a regular sable ferret. We talked
to the locals about him and they said "yeah, there is a feral colony or
two out there. Has been for years. Some idiot let them loose. Please
run them over when you see them." The whole thing came as a total
surprise to us. We had no idea ahead of time that there were feral
ferret colonies anywhere. (And no, we didn't run any of them over.
Not them, nor the 'possums that came from Australia.)

Why shouldn't ferrets with all of their original factory equipment be
able to make *more* ferrets in a nice, warm, resource-rich environment?
We all know that they aren't *stupid*. In fact, they are remarkably
clever, as anyone who has ever lived with one should know. Left to
their own devices they know how to make *more* ferrets. Give them a
mild climate, they know what to do.

Here is an article by Bob Church discussing the situation in New
Zealand. I don't *think* he is one of those vegan subversives. For
the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a vegan.

<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets-magazine/road-with-bob/new-zealand-ferret-owners-live-as-outlaws.aspx>

Alexandra in MA