From:
Meryl Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:02:32 -0800
No offense taken at a discussion of the HSUS. I used to
dislike/disapprove of the HSUS since they used not to include ferrets
as companion animals, but they added ferrets in the last few years so
I'm cutting them some slack. Also, the veal crate and free range
chicken issue got me to support them. The HSUS tries to push
legislative changes rather than do a lot of hands on - so do try to
make a better life for animals through legislation. -Which is why
breeders who run puppy mills and some food animal breeders are against
them. I have not read in the press of any misuse of funds. Most
charities spend a lot on administration - staff costs/benefits are
large otherwise they cannot keep people in these economic times.

Since I got curious about this issue I looked through the HSUS website
for current information and their aims - have not looked at their
website for a few years. They still (HSUS/FFA) try to promote
legislation for humane treatment, rather than putting boots on the
ground in an oil spill or building shelters and taking in animals. The
HSUS has helped pass laws to ban veal crates in several states, and
also were supportive in helping chickens have more humane caging. They
still do own three shelters - big ones- that do native wildlife and
help exotics - one in Southern Cal in my neck of the woods (I have
visited in years past - a friend volunteers there) which has helped
abandoned circus animals, feral cats on San Nicholas island as well as
taking unpopular/difficult animals and wildlife like coyote pups, a
baby hippo, and baby skunks. See
<http://www.humanesociety.org/animal_community/shelters/ffa_wildlife_center.html>
I used to be less supportive when years ago they did not support
ferrets as companion animals, which is why some folks still don't like
them. However an organization that tries to get rid of puppy mills and
improves food animal's lives with legislation is doing good in my book
(No laws means no action).

I noticed that in the list of charities this photo contest is
supporting, there are no ferret shelters listed as associated with the
HSUS. However the rules of the contest seem to exclude small shelters
by requiring the shelter hold a spay and neuter event on "Spayday".
Kind of a shame. Their website does have good information on who should
own a ferret, and recommends adopting rather than buying
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/ferrets/tips/ferrets_as_pets.html

BTW I doubt CDFG are going sit at a laptop and search the 3258 pet
pictures for a ferret - you cannot search by species - you have to do
it by name (eg Fido, Bandit or Slinky). However I don't take great
photos and usually don't enter contests. If anyone enters their
ferret(s), let the fml know so we can vote for it(them). You can
enter as many pets as you want apparently.

Meryl