Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 02:23:23 -0500
There is no max dose for Prednisolone in ferrets so it depends on what
the individual tolerates. We have had a tiny female who tolerated it
well have over five mg per day spaced in three doses, one each eight
hours, but have had a much larger ferret tolerate quite a bit less.
That is not unusual. Our own experience in three decades with ferrets
in the family is echoed in many other homes in that ferrets vary
greatly on how much Prednisolone is tolerated, even if you take into
account things that normal reduce the amount which can be used such
as ulcers and cardiomyopathy.

What often happens is that the doses are increased as needed, giving
the med every eight hours instead of just every twelve is done,
diazoxide is added because some ferrets are helped by that med, and
finally when insulinoma is very advanced dietary sugars may also be
made constantly available because some ferrets with advanced insulinoma
get some more time that way in addition to the medications. Of course,
surgery is also an option when the vet is a good surgeon who can pop
out very tiny beta cell tumors, but not all are good surgeons for
ferrets and vets who are more used to other animals are often afraid
of pancreatic surgery