Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2010 15:00:16 -0800
What the FML readers don't see are the numerous personal responses
received asking me for information on how to start their ferrets on the
natural feeding plan. The FML readers don't see the numerous personal
controversial subject even if they choose to feed kibble, they enjoy
the discussion of the subject. Many people read the FML but don't or
won't post likely because posting something which goes against the
sweetness and light brigade garners outrage and insults.

The FML isn't JUST a place to post for shelters needing donations, or
to obtain sympathy for a lost companion. Unless I'm mistaken the FML is
a place where ferret folk can post about ALL subjects regarding ferrets
such as: seeking eyes to locate a lost ferret, or find a new home for a
discarded ferret, or a place to talk about health troubles, or talk
about vet visits, or creating hand crafts and even discuss ferret food.

There are regular contributors, and many MORE readers that remain
silent. The FML isn't a polling place and I'm not out to garner votes
or win a popularity contest. I can confidently swim upstream against
the norm, confidently bring up thought provoking ideas, confidently
present ideas in readable researched form, confidently debate a topic
without resorting to insults. Confidently stand on my own two feet and
confidently feed what my ferrets evolved to feed upon whether that be
raw, whole prey pre-killed or live prey.

I've been described as a preaching, militaristic, child tormenting,
guilt instilling, mystical, missionary of Al-Qeada's ferret food police
department! Thought only Jewish moms could instill guilt.Oh well, on
Sunday I'll confess and be forgiven - no, that won't work - I'm an
agnostic protestant believer in the Great Spirit. Go ahead, figure that
one out.

Considering the proclamations of so many people skipping anything I
post - there certainly are a number of them flinging insults and
posting against what I have posted - guess they got my post information
via osmosis (gotta watch getting too close to that PC screen - never
know what information will seep into your brain). These people don't
want to enter into a discussion because they don't have anything to
contribute so instead they spew insults and even my after life and that
of my ferrets is threatened! *jingles bells to ward off evil spirits*
Even if they could catch my hyper-energetic, natural fed ferrets, my
ferrets wouldn't stick around if all they had to offer was kibble -
besides from the sounds of it my ferrets would be too busy chasing down
and devouring all the kid's pets that made it to the rainbow bridge!
Josie will show em all where the good prey hides.HAH! Just let'em try
and grab Roman - he'll introduce them to the true nature and design of
ferret teeth! Looks like my after life will be as interesting as my
present life! Great!

My original post FERRET-L Digest - 17 Nov 2010 to 18 Nov 2010
(#2010-323) "Face 2 Face with Bob Church has certainly been twisted
into a personal witch hunt! Some want the natural feeder(s) to produce
scientific proof of the benefits of natural over kibble(never mind the
evolutionary proof sitting in their lap or slinking under the sofa);
they negate the fact that even kibble mfrs cannot provide scientific
proof their product meets ferrets needs, let alone are beneficial. One
person who already over moderates their own ferret list and prevents
all discussion of diet on that list consistently attempts to dissuade
anyone contemplating natural diets here on the FML. And to be able to
make sure she is heard, she gets around the FML's two post submission
rule by submitting two posts each from different email addresses!

Kibble manufacturers readily label their products with a description of
what ferrets are designed to eat and that they are obligate carnivores,
yet they continue to create recipes consisting of large amounts of
indigestible plant sources and any communications attempted with their
PR/lab departments goes ignored. The people that buy kibbles often feed
a mixture of different kibbles "to cover all bases" and prevent
imprinting upon one recipe.Why? Especially if the kibble they feed is
so "completely nutritious" and "perfectly balanced"? Kibble mfrs will
change ingredients or a recipe without notice and this throws some
ferrets into digestive upset or worse. But these things only briefly
get discussed and are conveniently forgotten. Kibble has been recalled
time and again because of salmonella infections but no one says STOP
feeding kibble it could be dangerously high in bacteria.

Realistically now, how many of you feeding kibble scoop that stuff into
the pet dishes then go about fixing your own breakfast. Did you wash
their dish before feeding? Did you wash YOUR hands after scooping the
kibble?

Being frank is not being rude. Being rude is not listening to what
other people have to say. Being rude is calling people names. Being
rude is misdirecting a discussion. Everyone has the choice to read a
post or scroll past. Everyone has the choice to enter into a discussion
or just be a bystander. Everyone has the choice to feed what they want
- I have never said they HAVE to feed naturally, but I DO maintain that
to offer optimal health to your ferret then feeding naturally will do
that. Maybe its up to the ferret owner to determine a definition of
optimal health? For me that is not having to worry about dental disease
or insulinoma or IBD or ulcers or pica or boredom. Adrenal disease,
being tied to photo periods and early altering remains a concern and
very real possibility as all my natural fed ferrets age. But they won't
have to deal with that problem and all the others too which are so
commonly accepted as part of normal ferret aging.

Why feed live prey? Because it does let your ferret become a real
ferret; utilize all its senses, develop dormant skills, become totally
enriched; allows them to fully engage their jaws as nature intended in
a manner totally appropriate and without consequences of getting thrown
away, timed out, banished, thumped, sprayed with bitters or being
labeled vicious. The ferret can then devour the prey and will benefit
from all its nutrients. Whole prey killed does not not create a blood
bath, prey is dispatched in seconds. Ferrets don't play with the prey
like cats do. Ferrets are fastidious eaters. Much of my whole prey
items I've raised myself. Others are raised much like ranchers raise
the animals consumed by humans. If you think for an instant that the
steak on your plate or the chicken nuggets in that box came from an
animal that willingly, silently gave up its life so you can nourish
yourself - well, keep fooling yourself. If you think that the bag of
kibble you feed is made from animal parts that came from animals happy
to get shipped to the slaughter house, again, you are deluded. Nobody
is telling you you HAVE to feed anything other than what you want to
feed.If you are feeling guilty about that bowl of kibble being fed,
maybe its your own inner voice questioning why feed something you know
your ferrets cannot fully gain nutrients from? Some of us DO chose to
offer what ferrets were designed to eat and we've seen astounding
results and we are happy to share because we'd like other ferrets to
display such astounding health improvements. Some feed naturally and
keep it to themselves which doesn't do much to help other ferrets or
assuage doubts and dispel myths about natural feeding.

There IS power in the diet they eat - nothing mystical about it -
garbage in gets garbage out; just look at the difference people happily
describe between the el cheapo cat and walmart type kibbles and the
high end "quality" kibbles fed. Why not take that improvement one step
further and offer a raw program? Then go a step further and offer whole
prey? Then go the ultimate route and offer live prey? Oh you wouldn't
want to do that because you'd become unpopular? so - stay popular and
let your ferrets remain second class. Don't belittle those who are
feeding naturally eschew the myths surrounding feeding naturally, throw
away those blinders, open your eyes and your mind. Make the adventure
yourself, then reassess your former views, come back to the FML and
share!

please visit :
for ferret help and info:
http://holisticferret.proboards80.com/index.cgi