From:
Aarrow-Ranch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 12:07:55 -0400
In my kitchen is a broom closet I use for other things, like skeletons
and stuff. Pester figured out how to get under that. Most cabinets have
a small opening between the lowest facia that meets the floor and this
is no different. I had 'plugged' up all the other cabinets along the
floor with right angle pallet corner protectors that were screwed into
the cabinet base supports and that has worked out fine. But this one
had a piece of paneling nailed on the bottom. I thought that was enough
but over the 50 some odd years this house has been here the gazillion
of washings have rotted the glue so all the plies came apart. I had
stapled heavy cardboard over all that but the ferrets over time dug a
hole that I plugged with a soda can. That worked for years till Pester
came on the scene where she found that and pushed it into the hole all
the way opening up the under cavity under the broom closet. Now she
would get in there and I could not get to her without ripping that
entire module to pieces.

I know there is an opening there that leads to the crawl space under
the house and that would be horrible if she got down there. I never
would find her but the snakes would for sure. So I found a piece of 2x6
and custom made a piece to cover that hole and securely nailed it to
both the cabinet and the floor. That took me nearly a day to custom
cut and fit that piece of wood in there, if I had not been schooled in
cabinet making and furniture making I never would have figured out how
to cut all those tiny notches so it would fit. But job done.

I let Pester out in the kitchen to see what she would or better yet,
could do. Of course she made a bee line straight to that 'hole'. But
the block was there and there simply was no way she could compromise
that. She certainly tried over and over till she wore herself out and
gave up. Ha! Gotcha!

SO every time you think you have your house ferret proofed, think
again, and keep an eagle eye out where a ferret will teach you more
than you can ever figure out on your own. Now, if I can just figure
out how to keep her from getting the car into drive and leaving rubber
all down the street pulling wheelies !!!! Will have to get a segway I
guess.
--
Envelope Every thing, good and bad, will come to an end. Is only a
matter of how long can you last in the condition you are in.