Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:27:21 -0400
Our very own Beth, on the FML, runs Critter Camp. The only exotic pet
rescue of its kind in the nation ... they think possibly the world. She
takes care of hundreds of animal rescues with special needs with only
the help of a few volunteers and her daughter. We met as ferret people
in the ferret community online (as most of us ferret people find each
other across the world one way or another). I was so impressed with her
and her facility that I then wrote an article about her for Ferrets
Magazine. Sanctuaries for ferrets (and some other pets) are highly
controversial as you know. Many people believe animals should always
be adopted out to a home rather than live in a facility for life. They
have a good point, and most of the time they are right. In addition,
many places that say that they are an sanctuary, aren't "good" enough
technically to house an animal forever and live its life out naturally
and happily. However, I believe sanctuaries do have a place! There are
two sanctuaries that I can strongly vouch for and go to the mat for in
the ferret world. Zoo's Ferret Sanctuary and Beth's Critter Camp (which
does all exotics, not just ferrets). They, along with others, argue
that the animals they keep have been bounced around too much and they
need a forever, stable, loving place with skilled caretakers and
enriching environments. Hard to argue that. And they are also right
in many cases.

You can read all about Beth in my article here!
<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/ferrets-magazine/ferret-superstars/critter-camp.aspx>

Now we come to the point of my post.

Beth and I came to find we shared something else in common over the
years besides the love of ferrets and other animals: Autistic sons
that were nearly the same age. Her son, Alex is autistic due to
Landau-Kleffner syndrome. He helps out in the sanctuary occasionally,
but ... you know how that goes lol. Alex is about to graduate this year
I believe? I had the honor of meeting both of them in person last year
(as well as tour the sanctuary). He has a super sweet personality and
accepts help. Lately, it's been a nice reprieve to talk to Beth about
him as he enters adulthood so successfully so far ... something I'm
gravely missing with Sean due to the fact that his personality is very,
very different (antagonistic and angry). Alex is a real inspiration and
both he and his mother lift my spirits:

Here is a newspaper article about Alex and what he recently
accomplished! Very, very cute:
http://www.journalstandard.com/features/x1547140420/Living-a-dream

Wolfy