Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:35:54 -0700
When I rescued my first ferret in 1982, there was no "ferret food".
People in Europe were feeding "bread & milk" (are you horrified yet?),
but a VERY small book I found on ferret care recommended "kitten chow".
Not "cat chow", as it stated that the kitten formulation was indeed
higher in protein & a better choice. For over 9 years my dear ferret
ate kitten chow supplemented with any table scraps she was interested
in consuming... including fruits & vegetables. Since she was an adult
when rescued, she was definitely an "old girl" when I lost her. No, I
do not feed kitten chow now, but I have never had a subsequent ferret
live a longer, healthier life despite my following all the "new" info
on better nutrition for ferrets.

As to the "don't adopt" if you can't afford it advice, how is it better
to leave these poor creatures to be neglected or abused? There are
folks out there with hearts the size of the states they live in (& a
gaggle of ferrets almost as big), & they all do the best they can to
take good care of the fuzzies; please don't criticize so harshly if
their pockets are not as large as their hearts. Kudos to them all. &
by the way, Laura, have you looked at the ingredients in a lot of the
stuff that you are eating? Unless you have a farm & are personally
raising all of your food, I bet that kitten chow is more healthful than
much of the stuff you consume. This is true of most of us, so I'm just
sayin' :>)

Please, you've registered your opinion, now leave it alone. Thank you
from the rest of us who don't like to see others flamed.

Dooks to all... & give those fuzzies a hug!

Lisa