Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 19:26:37 -0500
I recieved this question in my email. And although I "sort of" had an
answer, I thought I'd bring it to the forum in case any of you had any
better answers:

"I had a question about disciplining my ferret. My husband and I
figured out our ferret, Ash was deaf when she was about three months
old (she's 1 year old now). Ash is extremely determined to scratch
under doors and to get into cabinets despite all attempts to
ferret-proof. In fact she is very avid about de-ferret-proofing. For
instance, we got baby locks for our cabinets and she squeezed her way
back into them. We now have weights sitting in front of the cabinets,
but she bites and scratches at them to the point of damaging them. When
I discipline her for this via scruffing and put her in a timeout, she
will throw a fit in her hammock, become depressed, and isolate herself;
she'll do her death stares and won't want to come back out of her cage
once her timeout is up. I eventually I'll pull her back out of her cage
to play with our other ferrets, but she will immediately go back to
doing the same thing that got her in trouble in the first place. I feel
like she isn't getting it. Do you have any advice to help me correct
her behavior?"

I replied:

"I have some very bad news for you lol. There is absolutely nothing you
can do to stop these sorts of behaviors. They are hardwired into the
ferrets brain (instinct) and so you really can't extinquish them. If by
chance you could, it would be harmful psychologically to the animal,
ya know? There are just some things you can't or shouldn't change. So
in those cases, you need to try to stratagize around the behaviors.
Unfortunately, while ferrets are as intelligent as the tiniest of
primates (puzzle solving), they also have the attention of a gnat.
And boy this presents a challenge!

Believe me I've tried it all. Before I was on the internet and had
extensive expert advice available, I was going on experience alone.
I had grown up with ferrets so I did have quite a bit. I tried using
water guns for ferrets who dig under doors or scratch carpets. I
thought if I sat and consistently squirted one whenever they tried to
go under a door, it'd stop. I mean it makes sense. It works for some
species. I tried all of the things you have. Those didn't work either.
I dont know if a ferret is stubborn or is hopelessly obsessive.

So how to work around behaviors? There is something called Ferret Off
by Marshall Farms (I think thats how makes it). Supposedly, sprayed on
surfaces, the ferret gets repelled. I used it on furniture and didn't
have any luck. But furniture really soaks it up. And my husbands
ignorant boss taught mine to dig into the couch. I never had a problem
with that before. It was very upsetting. Anyway, it didn't work. Now
if the ferret is actually mouthing, chewing, or licking something in
the process of what it is doing, I can testify to the fact that Bitter
Apple does work. Ferrets hate it. There used to be a "cream" version
so you could put it on wires and such and it would last. You'd have
to google it and see if its still out there. I have no idea how long
the spray works. But gosh if its 24 hours even, that would help. I"m
wondering if you put a fine amount of Cayanne pepper (which keeps
squirrels away), if that would help at all. It all depends on how
close your ferret puts his face to what he's digging at. Usually when
a ferret goes after wood to get into a crack, they are using their
mouths, not just their feet. So some of these things might help.

Let me go ask some other sources and see if they have any ideas for
you. But that should be a start. I'm really sorry your ferret is doing
this. In any case, I'd really stop scruffing and/or the time outs. Its
not working, it never worked for me when I was younger. In your case,
your ferret is showing stress and sadness about it, so ... I'd stop
taking that course.

I'll get back to you with some answers (hopefully)"

I'm exhausted, its the end of a Friday. I hope I gave okay advice. I
wanted to get back to her immediately tonight whether I was prepared
or not, because it sounded like their baby was sensitive and getting
pretty upset. I wanted them to stop until I could find something better
for them to try.

Thank you very much!
Da Wolfy

Ps, I HATE it when I don't know the answers, I feel so stupid.
 ::Banging my head on the desk like Dobby in Harry Potter::