From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:23:25 -0800
Hi Everyone:

With so many kids still on the www.Ferretgivingtree.com list I wanted
to share some inexpensive ideas to give a fuzzy and those who care for
them a nice surprise for Christmas.

The Dollar Tree in our area always has small fleece baby blankets in
the children's baby section. I use these all the time for the Ryan
kids to snuggle in in drawers on their faux fleece. Jillie likes hers
stuffed into Auntie Rose German's hanging cubes. Jack likes to tuck
himself in his plastic shoe box and cover up with the little fleece.

The pet section often has some good toys - be careful what you buy,
some of the Chinese imports are not safe. I have gotten some great cat
teasers there and small plastic balls with jingle balls inside. The
children's' section has had over the years great stuffed toys that are
colorful, cute and ferret safe without all the little pieces that can
fall off or be chewed off.

Also in the children's section are sweatshirts the kids love. I make a
heat pack out of them. I make small pouches that fit in the sleeves and
sew the sleeve closed at the arm pit seam and add Velcro pieces to the
wrist opening. I use these in cooler weather to go to the vet. They can
pop their head out of the head hole or the waist opening while staying
warm in the belly of the shirt. Also, with the hot packs the arms may
be snuggled next to them providing heat, but also imitating the weight
and warmth of another ferret. We call it "Packin Heat" in honor of
Poppa Ryan the retired Cop. When leaving the vet we ask our super vet
techs to warm the rice sacks for 20 seconds and pop them back in the
sleeves for the ride home. Great for an ailing ferret too.

Walmart is the least expensive place to pick up turkey/chicken baby
food around at $.92 cents a jar. Pumpkin seems to be prevalent at $1.50
a small can. They also have baby blankets in the baby section. There
are nice thick printed fleece ones that are about 3' x3' and thinner
ones similar to the Dollar Tree fleece mentioned above for $2.00.

In the pet section there are bottle of what we like to call "Imposter
Tone." It sells for $3.45 or $3.95 an oz. bottle. It is called Pro
Pet Skin and coat supplement made by 8 & 1. The ingredients are very
similar to Ferratone and my guys and those who have received it as
gifts lick it up -no questions asked! Over the years I have found some
very cute and well like stuffed toys and hard plastic (not able to chew
pieces from) toys int he pet section or register checkout - great for
stashing! They also have cardboard sleeves with eight plastic jingle
balls on them in the cat section.

An all time favor with all who have received these are the crackle
house, cave and tunnel and crackle tunnel in the cat section. They sell
for about $8.00 for the tunnel and a littlermoe for the cave and tunnel
and about the same I believe fo r the crinkle house. Juniro BOING BOING
and now, BOING's Buddy literally bounce off the sides of the tunnels.
These are definitely good for a sound belly laugh from the ferrants!!

If you know how to carryout the basics of sewing, JoAnn Fabrics is
running a sale this weekend, but also has fleece remnants in thier
remnants bins. It is a typical stopping place where I load up my arms
til I can hardly see. The prices can't be beat. Collecting through the
years I get some awesome matche if not the first trip, then the second,
tenth...you get the idea. I make the sleep sacks, cloth tunnels and
hammies and silly sacks according to the size the remnant piece allows.
I try to use trimmings for stuffing and smaller pieces for shakies,
jingle and crackle toys. Easy things to mkae.

Sleep sack. If cut ont he fold you have to make two seams. You can
choose to hem the opening, but most fleece does not unravel so you can
be done there. **The ferrets siad they prefer warmth to hems!!** If
you cnsewa square, stuff it and attach a piece of elastic and you have
a toy: add a large bell (they jingle much better 3/4 " to 1 " work
better.)

If you have a Fed Ex drop off or perhaps a store in your town that
ships (NOT Mail Box etc.) Fed Ex you can save a great deal shipping
that route, ut you must have an address, not a PO Box.

I hope this helps give you some ideas for gifts, saves you cash and
warms your hearts as well as a fuzzy butt or two You might also
consider picking two or three ferrets at the same shelter and with
these ideas send more while condensing your S & H costs.

In the craft section they have 4" foam letters for $1/each. F E R R E T
will cost you $6.00 as a gift to the shlter Momma or Poppa. Simple
ferret art for the wall!!

We also have many talented vendors in our ferret community who make a
vast collection of items. If you need something in particular and can't
find it by a Google search (or whom ever) ask for help on the FML, it
seems we all know someone who makes something!!

We all gotta stick together!!

CAthy
Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3