From:
Fire Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 06:47:38 -0800
Well, I took her to the vet. Her BG was 88, so low, but not off the
"normal" scale. Her vulva was not enlarged, but she does have
noticeable hair loss. The vet couldn't feel any enlargements or
nodules, so at this point we decided to hold off on any exploratory
surgeries and just try her with melatonin and pred. Now, what should
i look for with giving her those 2 twice a day? I have heard of pred
belly, but what is it? I'm trying to make sure I know what the "normal"
side effects are before they crop up, so that I don't start stressing
over nothing. Also, any tips on how to mix the pills to make it more
palatable to her? Does 'Vite or 'Tone seem to work better? She's
getting a basic duck soup 3-4 times a day and has actually put on a
spot of weight! I'm going to keep trying different combos until she
seems the happiest. She loves being held while eating her soup, but
when she is done - it is time to GO.

I wouldn't say I spoil the little fart, but we drove to the best vet
that the local shelter reccomended - even though that meant a 6 hour
round trip. She also got to go Xmas shopping with me, and was an
AMAZING ambassador for ferrets doing it. It was so cold that I just
shoved her inside my jacket while running into some of the stores. She
sat there like a little lady and gave kisses whenever someone got close
enough. The vet was a little uncertain, since i brought her in with so
few symptoms. He said most owners seem to wait till the BG is below 70
and they have seizures, not jumping on it right away. He was VERY
appreciative and talked about what a loving little lady she was.

Thanks in Advance
Rose and Itachi