From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 02:49:59 -0400
That sort of variation exists in domestic ferrets, too, though I have
not seen one in years. Twenty years ago or so auburn and even almost
bright red haired ferrets were not all that terribly unusual in the
pet stock. Not common, but not unusual, either. Some were not real but
had fur dyed by what they ate, but some were real, just as happens in
polecats. The Vincent Trust photos include a polecat who was almost
bright red, BTW, and it's a variation which is considered able to occur
anywhere, though most common in Wales and Southern Britain, if memory
serves.

And, yes, auburn ferrets are drop dead gorgeous.

I've heard rumors that a high percentage of the domestic ones with that
sort of coloration had behavioral issues though I've certainly cuddled
ones who were total darlings. No idea if anyone actually did real
numbers to see if that was actually so.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/