Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 04:26:21 +0000
From:
Also, all people should take advertising with a grain of salt.
Performance Foods immediately investigated when people complained and
on its own recalled food years ago when an ingredient supplier screwed
up. Not all places as as reliable. You'll notice that one of the places
which advertises heavily on tv that it has a "natural", "grain- free",
"high-protein" food was one of the ones that had to recall due to
melamine content in 2007 and that it is now under pressure from the
veterinary group, VIN, due to what appear to be high levels of Vitamin
D causing kidney and other organ problems with calcifications forming
but that OTHER company has NOT begun a recall:

<http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/veterinarians-reporting-possible-blue-buffalo-dog-food-concerns.html>

>The company's focus has been on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken
>Recipe, manufactured in April 2010 with a best-used-by date of July
>2011.
>
>Vitamin D toxicity, or hypervitaminosis D, induces bone loss and
>abnormally high serum calcium levels, which could result in kidney
>stones and the calcification of organs like the heart and kidneys
>if left untreated.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/newpetfoodrecalls/

can get you to the page on them in 2007 using the Chinese protein
additive which instead turned out to be melamine by just putting Blue
Buffalo in the search box, clicking the search "button" on the website
and then opening the results.

Sukie, please take the time to read the Vin report. Blue is not under
fire for high levels of vitamen D in their blue wilderness dog food as
it hasn't proven to be fact. As soon as they were notified Blue begain
testing and retesting (the exact batches and samples from the food that
supposingly made the dogs sick) and came back low to normal levels of
Vitamen D. I do a lot of research on the foods I feed so that article
was pointed out to me as I use Blue.

It is a possibility that certain breeds are having a problem. It's also
a possibility that there are other contributing factors. That could be
supliments, any number of things (that also contain vitamen D), maybe
even a sensitivity in certain breeds to vitamen D3, who knows that
could be causing the particular problem in a handfull of dogs.

I personally know a husky rescue here that goes through pallets of Blue
Wilderness chicken and has for over two years and not a single problem.
My ferrets have been eating Blue Wilderness for three years now (cat)
and my cases of insulinoma have dropped drastically. And although I
understand that it's chicken Blue Wilderness Dog that seems to cause
the issue in the handfull of dogs, I run into too many people that (on
my many shopping trips as all my dogs and cats eat one form of Blue or
another) use it with no problems and couldn't be happier.

I hope they figure out the problem, but personally I don't think it's
the food or many, many more dogs that eat it would be having problems.
Also, I have to add that I also feed prey in addition to Blue
Wilderness and my guys couldn't be healthier. So I do believe in a high
protein, low carb diet. That combination has done wonders here for
their health.

LeanneB