From:
Caitlyn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:01:43 -0500
Hi,

Zephyr is my approximately 7 1/2 - 8 year old spayed female ferret who
had insulinoma surgery yesterday. She is making a beautiful recovery so
far. She began eating kibble on her own last night in addition to her
gravy and did a very professional job of emptying the food bowl and
water bottle. She has dairrhea but otherwise is eliminating normally.

Blood glucose was 269 last night. Post-surgical diabetes was expected
and our vet called that number borderline but not of enough concern to
bring her back just yet. This morning my glucometer gave an error and
by the time I was ready to try again with another strip I had to prick
her tail again. The problem was she had already just about finished her
chicken gravy. We scruffed her to try that way and the little monster
repeatedly broke the scruff. That's how strong and feisty she is this
morning. I'll giver her more gravy in a couple of hours and that should
let me try again.

Right now we are weening her from prednisolone, giving her tramadol
every 12 hours for pain, and a sliver of Pepcid AC in her gravy to
avoid ulcers.

Chin Soon was really agitated when Zephyr wasn't around last night
according to my housemate. We let them briefly sniff each other through
cage bars last night and put the recovery cage next to the main cage so
that the two would know the other is there and is OK. That isn't good
enough for Chin Soon, who frantically circled the recovery cage this
morning looking for a way in and then repeatedly dumped her food bowl
and deliberately missed the litter pan in protest. The next week, while
the two have to be separated, is going to be challenging.

All in all, I'm thrilled with how well Zephyr is recovering.

All the best,
Caity and the dynamic duo
Zephyr and Chin Soon