From:
Jeni Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:32:01 -0800
The Oregon Ferret shelter is in crisis and needs some help to get
through the next few weeks.

A few days ago, Chris Mathis, who is the owner/manager of the Oregon
Ferret Shelter, broke her leg badly. She will be bedridden or in a
wheelchair for the next six to eight weeks. (Although, knowing her, she
will probably try to do everything she used to do from a wheelchair
within a few days, even if she shouldn't. She is a workaholic.)

We are asking that people volunteer to help us with taking care of the
shelter ferrets during this time of crisis, at least until we can get
back into a stable state of affairs. This might take up to two months,
so it's a short-term commitment.

We need people who can come help clean cages, fill water bottles, fill
food dishes, clip nails, help give meds, give "duck soup" to the frail
and elderly ferrets, wash laundry, do light housework, or otherwise
help take care of the shelter. If you can help us, please call Kim
Reynolds at (971) 570-4549 and she will set up a time when you can
come in. Here is a link to some of the typical volunteer duties:

http://www.oregonferretshelter.org/volunteer.htm

If you can't come in to help but you would like to make a donation, we
can use all kinds of things. Some of the best items are: cash, ferret
food, A/D canned pet food, laundry detergent, paper towels, baby wipes,
cleaning supplies, wood pellets, litter scoops, and fleece fabric. Here
is a link to our wishlist:

http://www.oregonferretshelter.org/wishlist.htm

Gift cards to just about anywhere would be really helpful too. Food and
grocery gift cards would be good right now. Ordinarily, Chris cooks A
LOT to save household money so the ferrets can have more food and care.
She even makes the "duck soup" that the elderly and sick ferrets need
by boiling chicken carcasses and making everything from scratch. But
now she won't be able to cook, and so her food bill will increase. So
if people could send her gift cards to get food, that would help a lot.

Here is the shelter address:
Oregon Ferret Shelter
17560 S Holly Lane
Oregon City, Oregon 97045-8523
Phone number: (503) 557-8369 (we may not answer the phone quickly due
to the strange circumstances, but you can leave a message)

They take checks, credit cards, and cash. There is also a button on the
website to make a Paypal donation. It's in the upper left-hand corner.
http://www.oregonferretshelter.org/home.htm

Of course, the very best way to help? Come adopt a few ferrets. We
would love to see these guys go to good homes.

Chris and Dave Mathis are some of the best people I know. They are
absolutely devoted to the animals in their care. Their shelter is
one of the largest of its kind in the world, with almost 200 ferrets
in their care. They operate on a shoestring budget, using their own
household funds coupled with a few private donations to buy the ferrets
what they need. They operate with an all-volunteer staff, so no money
is spent on "administrative fees". Because they are not publicly funded
and do not have any deep-pocket donors, they are on the edge most of
the time, even without this dreadful setback. They really need your
help. (By the way, the Oregon Ferret Shelter is a Federal 501(c)(3)
non-profit organization. Your donations are tax-deductible.)

Thank you for your attention.