Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 22:16:23 -0900
Yesterday, lightkeeper (Karen) said:
>Would you allow yourself to run out of food and then go out and buy a
>bunch of crappy stuff to eat just because it is cheap?? Ask yourself
>this question and sincerely think before you answer.

My response:
Unfortunately, every day people do just this. In an attempt to keep
themselves and their children from going to bed hungry, they buy
fillers that will not be nutritionally sound, but that will keep the
hunger pangs away. We talk about feeding our ferrets food that is
often more nutritionally sound AND more expensive than what millions
of children living in poverty have. The stories about the elderly
people eating dog food - those aren't just tall tales. Go volunteer
in the local food bank or for Meals on Wheels and see what a REAL
food problem is.

As a single mother I had days when I had no idea how I was going to do
all the things for my child that her friends from two parent homes were
doing. Feed her? Of course, I wanted what was best for her and got the
best that I could afford. I read a lot of labels. I learned to cook. I
learned to cut corners. And some days she would get a hot dog because
it was the end of the month and expenses had been high and the hot dog
was cheaper than ground beef or steak or chicken. But she never went
to bed hungry.

Bottom line - you do what you have to do. The ferrets will survive just
fine on a bargain buffet. And, for those of you out there who want them
to have a better food, why not send a big bag to the shelter of your
choice. Several people have said that due to the tough economy they are
not able to afford some of the better foods they used to serve. Why not
read through the FMLs and find one and surprise them. Actions speak
louder than words.

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we