From:
Michele Paulhus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:54:19 -0400
Hello Fellow Ferret Friends,

After discussion with my vet regarding the differences between a human
grade glucometer and the ALPHA TRAK meter from Abbot, I also opted to
purchase an Alpha TRAK from my vet (who also allowed me to do it at
their cost) and I am pleased with it--the only issues I've run into
so far are pretty much operator issues (the machine turns off or the
blood clots because I am taking too long)

I had also heard that they were engineering a new glucometer
specifically for ferrets--but when I contacted Abbot (the manufacturer)
they stated that they did not change the glucometer at all, but were
just approved by the FDA to *market* it with a ferret setting (which
coincidentally is the dog setting that ferret savvy vets have been
using as long as this glucometer has been available) I'd tried human
grade glucometers before and they were so inconsistent, I was not
comfortable trusting their data which defeated the whole purpose of
using them.

I strongly recommend it--it's an easier less traumatic, way, just as
precise as the vets office (if done properly) to keep a handle on your
ferrets with Insulinoma and Diabetes.

Thanks for mentioning it Cathy!

Be well all,
Michele Paulhus
--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing."

[Posted in FML $$22$$]