From:
Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 2010 07:47:48 -0400
Sharon wrote:
>The local wildlife sanctuary has asked me to help design and get a
>cost estimate for a ferret house. They do have ferrets in their
>program and my vet takes them to the local schools so small children
>can see them and learn respect for animals.
 ************
Is it disturbing to anyone else that a wildlife sanctuary is wanting to
build a ferret house, thus further perpetuating the myth that ferrets
are "wild" animals? In my state, wildlife sanctuaries are not supposed
to house any domesticated animals, though that may differ in other
states.

I see no mention of a "house" for domesticated animals in their project
goals. Their mission is to rescue, rehab, and release wild animals
indigenous to Georgia; again no mention of domesticated animals.

I am a volunteer wildlife rehabber, and operate a ferret rescue as
well. I often assist with wildlife education programs. On occasion, I
am asked by the persons booking the program to bring ferrets along,
and I will explain that I don't want there to be any confusion between
wildlife and pets. I am there to represent the wildlife sanctuary. If
they would like to invite me back, I will bring ferrets and represent
my ferret rescue.

Katharine
Florida