Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:02:12 -0400
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
In case this differs from the previous announcement (since the second
announcement with multiple foods seems to have differed from the first
announcement when another FHL member mentioned just one food after VIN
found a problem with that food) and I don't have time to compare for
things like names, bag sizes, etc. With pet foods that get to the point
of needing I've seen several from multiple companies in which the
recall expanded over time, so just being safe so people can check on
their own. What this looks like is that when the company tracked down
the source of the problem in an ingredient that was poorly created
by a supplier it found that multiple food types may have had that
ingredient. That is a responsible sequence of events. Now, it needs to
figure out why it's originals checks of the food failed to find the D.
Perhaps it checked chemically for one form of D rather than for both?
I don't know. Like dogs, ferrets have problems with excess Vitamin D,
developing hypercalcemia with calcium deposits in organs such as the
kidneys and heart being a possible outcome. The company was offering to
also reimburse veterinary costs in the write- up I read a few days ago
at its own website.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm228986.htm

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: