From:
eri garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 18:15:15 -0500
Howdy again~

Someone suggested that I go ahead and post my query here.

We received a wheelchair for our little guy, Indy, last week. I'm
needing some advice on getting him to accept it.

The first few days, I just put it in his cage for him to sniff and just
get used to seeing/being around. Then, I started setting him on top of
it when he eats his soup so he'd get used to the feel. After that, I
started setting the harness on his back while he ate and sat on the
chair. Two nights ago, I put the collar part of the harness on him,
gave him Ferretone, scritched his throat, and soothed him.

Last night, we actually put him in it. It went better than I expected,
but not as well as it could have. He was, however, doing better with
it by the time we took him out of it (he was already in the process of
crawling out of the harness, because I intentionally didn't tighten it
for the first run).

My question at this point is -- do you have suggestions on how to get
him to accept it and use it? I really need some encouragement right
now. We've had a bad week (I was afraid our little girl, Pixie, might
have a tumor or lymphoma; thank God, we found out this afternoon that
she's fine, but I haven't slept or eaten much at all this week because
of the stress). I'm at a low ebb, and I'm not about to scrap this chair
idea at this point, because Indy DID make progress for his first time
out. I just want to know that I'm on the right track, and find out what
others in this situation have done.

Thanks!

--
/\_/\