From:
Aarrow-Ranch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 08:35:13 -0400
Peekaboo is very good at finding things I need. She advised me to use a
French fry basket that can be found in Walmart for a couple bucks. Just
put the pellets in there, or dump them in and shake a bit to watch the
'fines' slip thru the bottom leaving only the good pellets inside! The
other way is to use a pellet magnet that will attract only the wood
pellets and none of the fines or 'tootsie rolls'.

Being now warm weather I have the 'bugs' out on the porch to run
around. Yesterday I could not find Peekaboo anywhere. She was gone!

Pester was snug in her box curled up in deep sleep but Peekaboo was not
there anywhere. I turned that porch upside down and not one single clue
of where she was. I began to think she had managed to get up onto the
window shelf and jump out to the ground which was a good 15 feet down.
But there was not an access to that window shelf, yet if a ferret wants
to get somewhere, for sure they will get there and by the most
ingenious means.

I have about 10 boxes of wood chip fragments used to start a fire in
the insert, some stacked up on others. I noticed a long tube leaning on
one of the boxes and figured if a ferret found that the tendency to run
thru it would be irresistible. So I followed a logical path a ferret
would take and pulled one big huge heavy box off the top of the others.
Sure enough, under all that was Peekaboo all curled up sleeping in
apparent bliss devoid of outside world contact.

She looked up at me like "Hey, what's YOUR problem?". Was glad to find
here and have her back where she needs to be. Being blind and deaf she
would be an easy target for animals that are not ferret friendly and
there are lots of those out there.

I am a camera nut and have a high end Nikon that I am working on
learning. There is a HUGE amount of things to learn about these high
end digital cameras so I experiment using the pair as target. I had
seen them sleeping in their box in magnificent shots but by the time
I got the camera to capture that they came 'to' and were out running
around so the shot was long lost. Yesterday I found them curled up
together in a perfect pose sleeping, both on their back but they had
their heads side by side cheek to cheek in total slumber bliss. I now
had to run to get the camera, swap lenses, get the external flash on,
install the batteries, and then get back out on the porch still
undetected! That alone was a huge challenge never mind all that time
used to prepare. But as luck would have it they both were exactly where
I had seen them. So I took my time to quietly pad my way to a position
where I could get that shot, and WHAMMO! I got it !

Man! I was ecstatic! I sent this image of to several that would
appreciate it and went back later to look at it again and for some
reason when I drag and dropped it to the folder it needed to be in, it
was lost! I will refrain from relating the words used in that moment
of discovery. But then Robin of Ferrets First replied with a kind note
(as usual) and included in her email was a copy of that shot! Man!

Windows Outlook will download the image but if I try to save them it
is a BMP file, not JPG and cannot be converted. So I saved it as a
BMP file and used another ap to convert it back to JPG, that worked!
Is back to where I needed it to be and saved. Phew!

So I have the great picture I have been trying to get of these two
for well over 8 months of trying and in a rare moment of total luck.
Ahhhhhh. Email me if you would like this image sent to you.

Gordon, Peekaboo and Pester-Doodle

aarrow ranch Signature
Remember, we live in a deadly dangerous beautiful world!