Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:59:12 -0400
I can now say, most assertively that, yes, ferrets have compassion. I
have heard astonishing stories for the better part of my life about
this topic from ferret owners, breeders, shelter operators and health
care workers alike. The most impressive observations and anecdotes come
from shelter operators and volunteers. I value their opinions the most
due to their experience and expertise. Am I putting human feelings onto
an animal? Nope. I am scientifically oriented, so I am skeptical of and
question every rain drop I see in my world. In addition I grew up on a
farm, my family hung around a more eccentric crowd that owned exotics,
and my brother is a vet. So, I have a good bit of experience with
various species and much to compare with ferrets. Other than dogs,
there is no other animal that shows compassion more that ferrets in my
mind. It's far more subtle than a dog, but it is there. Always there.

It's funny that this was brought up on the FML. I just completed an
article for my column, Buzz About Ferrets for Ferrets Magazine. The
question/topic was "What is the sweetest thing your ferret has ever
done". I expected a wide array of answers because ferrets are so darn
cute and funny. But instead I got quite a surprise. Twenty eight pages
of stories from ferret lovers came into my mail box, almost all of
which centered on some sort of compassion. Never has the notion that
these animals show compassion ever been more certain in my mind. :)

It will be published soon on www.ferretsmagazine.com
You'll see for yourself.

Wolfy