Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:23:47 -0500
Hi,

This has been going on for a while so I'll try to be brief. Last summer
my ferret Pig Pen was passing gas every time he pooped. I thought it a
bit unusual, but he seemed fine otherwise (I probably would have given
it more attention, but I've been very ill and was also up all night
w/another sick ferret who has since passed). The gas has seemed to
stop, but several months ago he started grinding his teeth when he
eats, and pawing at his mouth, and vomiting in the mornings. He's had
a barium swallow w/x-rays and we've tested his glucose. All came back
fine. As far as I can tell the vomiting is only in the mornings. So
I started him on carafate and my vet recommended an anti-biotic. He
seemed to do better when on the anti-biotic. But as soon as the
anti-biotic was stopped he started vomiting again. So we put him back
on two anti-biotics, which seemed to help. I think they where flagyl
and clavamox. But since he's been off them he still throws up in the
mornings. I read somewhere that frequent feedings help ferret's
w/ulcers, so I started feeding him every four hours, and I give him
carafate ten minutes before the feedings to help w/the ulcers. Again,
the throwing up seems to only be in the mornings. Oh, I forgot to
mention that he has adrenal disease and is on 3 1/2 month lupron
injections.

So I was thinking that maybe in the mornings he's gone w/out eating for
several hours and has too much stomach acid so it makes him hack up. I
just don't know and would appreciate any advice or insight as to what's
going on w/Little Pen. His name is Pig Pen, but I call him "Little
Pen". He's just so sweet and I hate to see him suffer like this and not
know how to help him.

Thanks a lot
Tina-