From:
Milliesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 13:00:03 -0600
Susie, you wrote you knew how to get around the raffle thing through
PayPal - please don't try it. Especially since you are not 501C.......
those very experienced with them, don't want to face a $2,000 fine....
and that would be what you would be facing if you failed to get around
it. Others have tried.

Also, we still are recommending highly going 501C, you can apply for
the lower version since you have just 6 or 8 ferrets where it cost much
much less. A 501C status will help you with donations where you can
give tax receipts, also make you qualify for grants you don't qualify
for with out it, and makes your standing as a legitimate shelter
confirmed with animal controls in the different cities. Also, if you
do the raffles and bring in money, to avoid paying taxes on those
earnings, by having the 501C, you can get Texas Exempt from paying
sales taxes, which you have to collect for those items sold here to
Texans.

The penalties for trying to get around certain aspects would ruin you
and it just isn't worth trying.

Good luck with your endeavor. I still have the load of ferret cages
here if you want to come get them. I just cannot deliver as our #'s
range from 60 to 100 ferrets and its an all day cleaning routine plus
the people coming to adopt or drop off take so much time.

Millie with Texas Ferret Lovers Rescue
www.txferretrescue.org