From:
Cynthia ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 13:24:48 -0400
When we got our first two ferrets, I didn't know about shelters, or
theFML for that matter. All I knew was what my cousins did back when I
was a kid with their fuzzies, and what I read in Ferrets for Dummies,
and various websites and magazines I could find. I wanted to do the
right thing for my fuzz kids, so I read all that I could find, still do
, for that matter. In fact, I found out about our local shelter through
a paper add.Lucky for the ferts, I did, since then, my furkids have
been Slightly Used ferrets. I have seen first hand how our disposable
society even extends to living feeling creatures, and I have been
shocked at times and had my heart torn out several times.

I cannot tell you how much joy my furkids have brought to my life.
They all come with some fuzzy baggage left over from previous homes,
neglect, or whatever, but it makes me more determined to show them they
are loved and will always have a home with plenty of good food and
care. I have been bitten, peed on, scratched and ignored, but gentle
persistence always pays great dividends. Have all my slightly used
ferts had bad past lives? No, and I am glad to know their people gave
them up before thing got really bad. These little ones help the ones
who have had bad times to easier acclimate. I do believe they talk.

Do I advocate ferrets for everyone? No. not all folks can give the time
and care that they need. If someone is interested, I tell them to do
their homework, as these little ones are very complex, and though they
think they are toughies, they are in fact, quite fragile little kids. I
tell them go online, read ferret magazines, and read books. After they
do that, if they still think a ferret is for them, go to the shelter,
choose slightly used ferrets, or better yet let them choose you. There
are kids of all ages who just want to be a treasured pet. If unsure,
volunteer at the shelter, learn more, then decide.

As for me, I will always be owned by Slightly Used Ferrets.

Since our first ferrets, my spouse has gone from "damn ferrets" when
he steps in a well placed land mine, to "Hello there" picking up the
little furkid and giving them a pet and scratch. Cheese, chief
prankster runs down the hall at full gallop to anyone coming in the
door, he especially likes to do this to Daddy, and launches himself in
full flying squirrel form at them wrapping his paws around their leg
and grinning up at them with a "tag, you're it " expression before
heading back down the hall to lay beside the bookshelf in furry ambush
mode for the next unsuspecting victim. Sometimes he recruits his
brother, Ham, to help with the ambush, and if Martin, Chepe, or any
of the others notice it happening, they run up and dance around the
squeaking hoomin. It is pure excitement, and cannot be missed! Yes,
Slightly used ferrets are good!!

I would like to share more "Tails of Slightly Used Ferrets" if folks
would like to read them. Eventually, they will be bound in book and
published with fert facts after each little story to educate humans
about ferrets, and amuse at the same time. Let me know if you're
interested in fuzzy tails (they smell like Lavender) I have several
funny stories that are sure to amuse.

Cindy & the gang of Slightly Used Ferrets (9)

http://cafepress.com/thecreativeweasel/
http://cafepress.com/thecreativeweasel2/
Our shirts benefit the Ferret Inn
(go through our sites, the shirts cost less than if you sift through
cafe press strait up[?])