From:
Wendy Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 00:57:14 -0400
It's with a very heavy heart that we ask the bridge greeters to look
for our little Louie. We helped him cross over the bridge earlier this
evening. Louie wasn't a part of our family for long, he was a long term
foster from our local shelter Ferret Business of Georgia. About 2 years
ago Louie and his brother Meeko were dumped by someone who had to be
heartless outside of a Vet's office. Louie was thought to be about 5
years old at that time. He really really didn't like any of the other
ferrets at the shelter, only his brother Meeko. After our family moved
from Michigan to Georgia it was my first time volunteering at Fbog that
Louie and Meeko tugged at my heart. After spending their time out of
their cage they settled into their hammy sleeping like an old married
couple. I wanted to bring them home with me that very night. It took
a little less than a year for me to warm my husband up to the idea of
bring in 2 special needs guys into our home as our current number of
ferrets has been in his opinion plenty of ferrets.

Louie and Meeko came home with me for what was supposed to be a short
visit while the shelter mom went home to visit her human family for the
holidays. The boys worked their magic on my husband and a permanent
part of our family they became. By this time Louie had lost his eye
sight, had insulinoma and adrenal disease. At first Louie would attack
any of our 8 ferrets that happen to come near him. Our 8 soon realized
Louie couldn't see them, so they avoid him when he was awake and on the
move. When Louie would come into contact with someone other than Meeko
I would try to pet both of them, telling them both it's ok and no need
for fighting. Eventually to my surprise I found my little Junior curled
up sleeping with Louie. Thinking this was a fluke and Louie would
attack once he woke up I was completely shocked when that didn't
happen! Louie had a new friend in Junior. In time he befriended our
Tink and Baxter. I think if he would have been here longer he would
have accepted all 8.

Louie was a ferret who thought he was a cat. He absolutely loved to
lay in his ferret lounger getting spoiled my mommy with lots of chin
scratching. When I'd stop he'd put his little head up, open his eyes as
to say "don't stop". His lack of vision didn't stop him from finding me
by walking towards my voice. We spent a lot of time snuggling up
together.

This morning Louie didn't want his gravy or his n bones. He began
vomiting. He was letting me know it was his time to go. After spending
the day carefully watching Louie and trying help him feel better my
husband Rex and I decided Louie was telling us it was his time. His
abdomen was distended and poop was foul along with the vomiting. His
hind legs were alway weak, they became much weaker.

Louie passed peacefully in my arm while my husband and I told him how
much we would miss him and that he would no longer be in pain, would be
able to see again, and his coat would be back to the beautiful fluffy
white it had been when his melatolin implant had helped him. We told
him we would take care of his brother Meeko until it's his time to join
him.

Bridge greeters please help Louie get to our other who have crossed. He
might remember Annabelle, Bedlam, and Hanky's smell from the shelter.
They are with Pillage and Cho. I will miss my little Lulu!

I know this post is a bit all over the place, sorry for that. It's been
a long hard day and I wanted to get this to the bridge greeters soon.

With love,
Wendy & Rex
Riley, Ahkee, Agatha, Diggy, Tink, Junior, Baxter and Teddy Bear the
tank
missing Cho, Annabelle, Bedlam, and Hanky