From:
"Bob Shimbo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1991 20:16:54 -0400
Hello again.  Re issue 36:
Out here in Colorado, we don't have much of a problem with fleas because
the humidity is so low (I think).  Be careful with flea powders, though;
it's better to use a flea shampoo made for cats than for dogs (which is
too strong.  Ferrets' skin is tough as leather, but it's delicate on the
surface.

Re Dixie:  we've been seeing this kind of problem quite often lately,
especially in pet store convenience kits.  There are two possible
problems.
   One is that a piece of ovary was left inside the ferret when she was
spayed.  Over the years, this can grow enough to produce enough estrogen
to put the jill into heat for the first time when she is four or five or
six years old.  Usually, going in and trying to "re-spay" the jill is
pointless as what is left is impossible to find.  Last year we had a
lawsuit over this (trying to get the vendor to pay for the second spay).
I don't know how it turned out.
   Also, adrenal tumors produce hormones which can mimic heat (and some
actually secrete estrogen itself); a couple of issues ago in the WHM we
had a case of a MALE ferret with estrogen toxemia from just such a
tumor.
   Even though you live in an illegal state, there is a chance my office
may know a vet there who will treat ferrets anyway.  If you live, for
example, in California, you can call the California Domestic Ferret
Association at
(707) 431-2277 and talk to Bill Phillips, the lawyer there who is doing
all the work trying to get ferrets legalized, and he can direct you.
Remember that it is no more illegal for a vet to treat an "illegal" ferret
than it is for a doctor to treat an illegal alien.
   Once you use surgery to remove an adrenal tumor, the hair usually grows
back.  If you have problems, here are some things I've found that work:
   * Mirra-Coat Daily Care.  This is like Linatone, but since it's made to
be given to dogs every day, it's much better for them.  I avoid linatone
as there is some reason to link liver cancers to excessive use of it (and
excessive vitamin A as a result).
   * Massage.  It couldn't hurt...
   * Put the ferret on strict natural light.  Remember that shedding
cycles in ferrets are controlled by day-length, and under house light,
older ferrets especially get their shedding cycles disrupted.  We are
fortunate enough at my house to have one room devoted to the ferrets
where we can lock them in the dark as soon as the sun goes down.  This
isn't really important for gibs and sprites, but it contributes
greatly to the health of hobs and jills.
Hope this helps,
=Fa