From:
Sandra Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:54:25 -0400
Guess I'll get in on the ferret picked me story line... A couple years
ago I was living in Cleveland and volunteered at Ferrets Unlimited. One
day I was cleaning a different room than my usual and a little girl who
had been dumped wanted me to hold her. Every time I would put her down
she'd come over and put her paw on my foot and look at me. Well, I
couldn't clean and hold her at the same time, so Jean gave me a carrier
to put her in. Naturally, I carried her around for the time I was
there!

When it was time to leave I put her back in her cage. She gave me a sad
look and came running for the door. I picked her up again and asked her
name. Jean said she was calling her Little Bit because she wouldn't
tell Jean her real name. Well, Holly gave her a filthy, dirty look and
whispered that her name was Holly. She then snuggled in to my chest.
Naturally, Jean made a vet appointment for her right away, knowing what
was coming.

Well, Holly wouldn't eat and I work 12-hour night shifts. (Her cage
mate had just died and she had been dumped so she was grieving the loss
of her friend and her home.) There is no one home while I'm gone, so
there is no way she can be force fed. I was going out of town for the
weekend and told Holly that if she wanted to come home with me she
would have to start eating and I'd get her Monday. She started eating
as soon as I walked out the door. It turns out she had a bad tooth that
had to be pulled and a sore on the back of her throat. No wonder she
wouldn't eat! But she ate just so she could go home with me.

Now she's two pound of ferret joy. She has her own room, plenty of
toys, a dog to chase when I let her run through the house and anything
else she wants. When I get back from a flight if I forget to put my
flight bag away I have to empty it out so she can sleep in it. She also
climbs up on my bed and will sleep under the covers, leaving a nice
warm lump! When she lost her sister, Scarlett, she said goodbye and
then grieved for about a week before getting back to normal. She is a
precious, sweet little girl. She's not much for kisses, so when she
gives them it's even more special. She's not spoiled, by the way; she
deserves every good thing I can give her.

Sandra