Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:15:47 -0400
Yes, yes yes, we must create our moments, not sit around and wait for
them.

I always thought the key to my happiness and sanity was to look for
the moments in my life and then cherish them. When possible, to capture
them as well. I can whip out one of my many, many cameras off my side
as quick as John Wayne can draw a gun. If it means I have to run wildly
behind my target like a hunter after a deer in order to shoot it,
that's what I do. The other day, I got very strange stares from new
neighbors who weren't used to the site of me doing strange things
with my camera. That day I was chasing cherry blossom petals that fell
from a tree across the ground with a video camera. I hold onto these
moments like a pit bull, share them and then lock them away. When I
come upon something that is more than a tangible moment, but an entire
experience, I sit right down and document it by typing out one of my
many short stories. And I tuck them away, safe and sound, in file after
file. But not until I compulsively push it onto everyone else around me
to bring the joy to them and to share in it with them. Or so I try.

After I posted the Becky Jean videos here, I realized something though.
I remembered back to comments made to me about my life here in the
Stout home over so many years. People saying they wished they lived
here in such a wondrous and humorous home. They only see half of the
story. There is in fact very challenging and sometimes unusually sad
and tragic things in our lives here. It amazes me sometimes how that
goes unnoticed despite the obvious nature of some of those things and
despite us not hiding most of those situations. I used to comment back
to people that they could live in their own fun life if only they'd
look for the moments and then work to enjoy them. It's nice to pass a
family member in the hall. But rather than just notice them and smile
at them, spend a little energy reaching out to tickle them and shout
some silliness at them. If you see there is an eclipse, dump your plans
and watch it. Photograph it. And best yet, call someone over to share
it. These are the sorts of things that I replied back to people. I
could tell that they'd contemplate the advice and even try it, but I
could also tell that they were thinking something was missing and/or
that I just didn't realize what I had. I always thought it was because
they truly didn't get it. Then, as I said before, the Becky Jean videos
made me realize something.

I've been wrong all along. I've only been realizing that the joy
doesn't just come from the keen appreciation of what is around me.
That's only half of it!! No, I don't just look for the joy, I "create
the joy". I didn't just happen to admire the pretty yellow coating of
pollen that blanketed the outdoors that I woke up to that day. And I
didn't just walk out to admire it and photograph it. I saw the pollen,
thought of Becky Jean and got the idea to snort it. And then I took the
time to do it, laugh it up, video it, and share it. And I did so while
doing something that can be a drag, grooming a pet ferret. I totally
created the entire scenario. Being the most joyful animals on the
planet, sometimes you settle for the fact that they have enough joy for
the both of you. You'd think I could just sit on my butt and take it
all in. But I don't. For example, I have a wonderful video of Sean and
Pharos camping on my YouTube. I could have sat and roasted marshmallows
while Pharos nuzzled through the grass by my feet at the camp site. But
I didn't. I told the kids to take the rafts, go out swimming and to
take Pharos with them. Then I put down the dang marshmallows, walked
my lazy butt over to the dock, put my feet in the water and shared the
experience with them. I also whipped out that camera and filmed it.
Then I put the camera down and jumped in with them.

So, I just wanted to share that with ferret family here. To not just
take time to appreciate the joy in your lives, but to create it. And
for those times that you just plain are flat out unable to do that (and
there are many of those times in our lives, I know), relish the fact
that we have an animal that can create the joy "for" us.

Wolfy