Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:58:46 EDT
We can agree all day long about the differences but it really comes
down to the exhibitor. The exhibitor needs to feel comfortable with
bringing their ferret out to show and the show's standards. LOS along
with (hopefully) all the other ferret show organization is not perfect.
We all have had to update with the times or fall behind.

If you as an exhibitor are not comfortable with brining your ferret to
a show who doesn't personally check over the ferrets (even those not
being shown) or you are not comfortable with ADV testing (which is only
good the day it is done) being a requirement, then you are not required
to bring your ferret to show.

I think we have all gotten away from the point of shows....the shows
are meant to educate and demand better care and keeping of your ferret.
For example, and please advise if I am wrong, AFA Championship judges
would not place your ferret higher in points if the nails were long or
the ferret was unbathed. Same in LOS, if the ferret is in poor
condition, we advise the owner but the points will reflect the
maintenance condition of the ferret.

As far as persons with LOS as Vicki and Scarlett both pointed out....
Please be advised that if an LOS member wants to post, I am not going
to stop them. Do I agree with all of their arguments, statements,
comments posted...NO I don't. But here's the thing, it's a free country
and they can state their opinion. Are they representing LOS when they
speak, NO. Unless they post that it was from ME or with my permission,
then no it is not LOS representation. I am the president of LOS and
therefore, if something needs to be address for LOS, it comes from me
or I give specific permission for someone else to post (only about
upcoming shows and events of LOS).

As for the person Scarlett mentioned, I personally went to their home
and oversaw the shots being done and ADV tests being administered. I
even did a good portion myself. I made notes on ferrets names and so
when they came to show, did I pull out that list, damn right I did to
make sure that everything was legitimate.

I heard the rumors but before I even offered membership, I checked them
out and stood over them. Also I know this person well enough to say,
and this is not meant as a slam, that there is no way that this person
who I had to spend hours teaching how to properly use a computer, could
have altered ADV records without someone's help.

Let me just say that as someone who also shows, I would not bring out
my ferrets to show to any show let alone mine, if I didn't think I was
doing all that was possible to protect them.

Once again, I think I have said all that needs to be said for LOS. If
you are an exhibitor and you don't agree with the show organizations
methods and regulations, then you don't have to show. No one is
twisting your arm that goes for any show organization not just LOS.
If it is not within your comfort zone, then I would not risk it.

Dawn - LOS President