From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 10:17:54 -0400
Another rescue from deplorable conditions took place in Parma, Ohio
recently. Kathy from Furetti Ferrets (shelter) has the fifteen ferrets
and is currently rehabbing them. All but two have health issues, so the
vet bills are piling up. Furetti Ferrets is a shelter listed with SOS,
so any donations you send via SOS are tax deductible (and you can ask
that SOS send funds directly to her vet if you wish).

The authorities were called on this household. We will update you as to
the progress of their investigation soon.

Please visit the National Ferret Rescue website for updates:
http://nationalferretrescue.org/

Dateline July 07, 2009 - Parma Ferret Rescue

This is the story of a very recent rescue by Furetti Ferrets in
Cleveland, Ohio.

From Kathy at Furetti:

The Ohio ferrets were removed from a home in mid June 2009. I received
several disturbing e-mails and phone calls from the owner for over a
month before the mother and son finally agreed to relinquish the
ferrets. I was told by the mother that the owner of the ferrets
abandoned them some time in March 2009 after a family dispute. The
ferrets were left in the home of his mother who had no experience
caring for ferrets. There were several postings on craigslist and on a
couple of ferret chat rooms stating that the ferrets were in need of
immediate help and needed to be re-homed.

It's my understanding that these ferrets were given to the Son by a
local pet store. Mom told me that someone there would give the Son
ferrets that were returned or dropped off at the store- that's how/
where he got all 15 ferrets.

When I picked the ferrets up, they were being housed in a large rabbit
cage- all 14. The mother said that there was another cage that was in
a bedroom that she was using to house the ferrets- when I requested
the cage she handed it out a bedroom window because the house was too
cluttered to get the cage through an exit door. The cage was at best
filthy- caked poop and strong urine odor- not big enough to house 15
ferrets. The ferrets had no toys; no bedding and I observed empty food/
water dishes. The cage was lined with newspaper that had very large
piles of feces all over, several of the ferrets had dried poop on their
fur. The mother told me the ferrets had not been out of the cage since
her son left. Per the mother there were 15 ferrets but one had died she
thinks of dehydration and malnutrition. All of the ferrets were found
filthy with overgrown/ curled nails that were packed with dried/ hard
poop under and around the nails, dried urine on their fur, wax impacted
ears and several with significant weight loss.

Most of the ferrets have significant dental issues and several have
adrenal disease. One ferret had to be immediately taken to the vet
due to infections in what teeth he had left. Ferret Pinky had to have
7 teeth removed and put on antibiotics. All of the ferrets had to be
vaccinated because they were living in a home that housed many wild
animals.

Currently the ferrets are under the care of Dr Frank Krupka in Avon
Lake Ohio and Dr Suzan Oros in Toledo Ohio; both are experienced ferret
veterinarians. Dr Oros specializes in exotic pet care. There will
likely be significant medical expenses for these guys, so far medical
bills for 4 of the ferrets is almost $3000.00. Any donations would be
appreciated; we are in need mostly of cleaning supplies, litter, food
and vet donations.

DR. Frank Krupka
Avon Lake Animal Clinic
124 Miller Rd