From:
"J Gordon Bengtson, CI-ASMEL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 2009 12:36:58 -0400
One thing that is on the mind of everyone who is owned by a ferret is
food for the tube dog. Food is expensive if you get the correct fix of
fat, protein and other stuffffffffffffph the bug needs to be healthy.

I kind of beat the system a bit by purchasing Marshall Farms Ferret
Kibble in a 35 pound bag. This is the most economical way and then I
hunt for the best price. The best I have found is The Ferret Store,
guess that now is Ferret Store.com of something like that. But they
have flat rate shipping so that helps on this heavy item. So I get
that first.

Then I buy big bags of other Kitten kibble that has the correct amount
of fat and protein but NO corn filler. Only rice filler will do where
corn is edible according to the fert but not good for the fert
according to nature. I get these in 10 or bigger sized bags and use
coupons (thanks to the ferret shelter in Annandale, Va. who sent me a
pile of coupons). Thank you Robin! These two little guys sure do
appreciate it as much as I do.

Ok. Next I take a large plastic kitchen trash bucket and pour 5 to 8
pounds of one kibble in there then the same amount of Marshal kibble.
I use my hands to coarsely mixed it but by putting the trash bucket on
a steep angle and turning it they mix well with a little help of hand
mixing as it turns. So with the kibble all mixed I then have to store
it! I have several 2 1/2 gallon bottles kitty litter came in where I
used to work in a place that makes the bottles. Those are great for
storing the kibble!

I have only 3 of those bottles, a fourth one is full of kitty litter
but in time will avail itself. So the residual is put in one gallon
plastic tubs Cole slaw came in for my neighbor's restaurant. This also
works quite well but is not near as handy as those large kitty litter
bottles.

So with about 50 pounds of kibble for these guys to chew on they should
be quite well supplied for a long time. Be careful to turn the caps
TIGHT on the top to prevent air and moisture from getting in to
preserve the kibble.

Bon appetite! Oh, off topic, I did have the opportunity to meet Julia
Child on several occasions. She was a most gracious down to earth
person, but big as a house! She would not give a signature but would
be very happy to talk to anyone. For sure she was a jewel that started
a major factor in TV educational shows, cooking! I had written to her
at her home in California only a couple months before she passed to
confess on a practical joke some guys played on her. That, people, is
to be discussed in another place and another time!

May God rest her soul and keep her in His kingdom.

Aarrow-Ranch Aviation
Mechanicsville, Virginia  23111