From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:59:36 +0000
Dear Ferret Folks-

Now that we have collectively mulled over Sandra's tragedy, perhaps we
can derive something useful from it.

So...perhaps we could talk about how we introduce our fuzzies to
strangers? I have a specific method for introducing CHILDREN to my
boys. Almost invariably, the child lunges for the ferret without a
word, wanting to give pats. I stop the child cold in his tracks by
saying "You have no idea if my ferret is friendly, do you?" That
almost always gives them pause. If they are with their parents, it
almost always gives the *parent* pause. I continue (if I am with Todd,
Caff-Pow can be excitable.) "My ferret doesn't bite, but you should
always ask before you touch someone's animal. You can't always tell
just by looking if an animal is nice or not." I then invite the child
to give gentle head and back pats. I hold the ferret, the child does
not because I don't know if the child will spook, should the ferret
whirl around or try to leave my hands and climb toward the child. A
spooked child holding a ferret could drop or throw the animal, squeeze
it and hurt it. I also take the opportunity to talk a little about
ferrets and if the child is very young, I stress that you should always
also ask before you pet someone's dog. Most are nice, but some are
mean.

Most parents are grateful that I handle the meeting this way, and
that I mention asking before you pet someone's dog. A large number of
*responsible* parents will then re-iterate "See? I *told* you that you
should ask before you pet someone's doggie", or something along those
lines. A horrid number of children are mauled or killed outright by
dogs every year in this country. Children have to be taught to *think*
before they run for someone's dog and bend down, putting their face
right near a tooth-filled snout.

Todd is a great "Intro" feret. He doesn't particularly like being
picked up by strangers, but he is calm and patient about receiving
gentle head and back pats. He doesn't bite except during heavy play,
and that is in fun, not in anger. I tell kids and adults flat out that
Caff-Pow, although he is very big, is also young and excitable. He
might nip. Most kids still want to give him a gentle pat or touch. In
that case I turn his back to face the child for a gentle pat or two,
my thought being that it is pretty tough for him to nip someone when
he is oriented like that.

So far, I have had positive experiences with kids with one exception. I
had a ferret on the ground, leashed (this was some time a go, I don't
remember which one) and the ferret jumped up toward the child, trying
to climb his shins. The kid was small, and frightened. He (She?) Kicked
out at the ferret, who wound up being just fine. But still, it was
unpleasant. I tend to pick the ferret up when I see interested
strangers, especially little strangers making a bee-line for my furry
buddies.

What are *your* tricks/advice for keeping your ferret safe from kids,
and strangers in general? We must have a billion years of experience
among us.

Alexandra in MA