Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:54:14 -0700
I know, I know - I post on here a lot, usually asking for advice on
certain things such as litter. I have to admit, it's been a while since
I've owned ferrets (or they've owned me!) and I feel like I don't
remember a lot of things! Luckily, I do know what to look for in the
case of illness and blockage for the most part and I do remember all
the basics - such as what they eat and things like that - however,
these new babies of mine are much more of a challenge for me than any
others! Maybe it's because the others were older babies and these are
so much younger - I don't know. But I need help - yet again!

Benny and Joon are pretty good about going potty in the litter box -
for the most part. But sometimes, they like to go in the corner of
their cage right next to the corner the litter box is in. It did help
when I got them a bigger litter box. I've tried to discourage this
habit by putting bedding in the corner and then I put a clamp on food
bowl in the corner but they still go there. I've also used several
different pet-safe cleaning agents to get rid of the smell so maybe
they won't think it's good to go there. I've even moved the litter box
and they just go in the other corner instead. Nothing has worked. So,
I've just been lining the bottom of the cage with puppy pee pads with
newspaper on top. If I don't use the news paper, they think the pee
pads are bedding. Even with the newspaper, they sometimes burrow in the
pee pads and newspaper. Once, they even chewed a hole in the top (non
plastic) layer of the pee pad and burrowed inside! They couldn't get
out themselves, so I had to rip it open and pull them out. There was
gross fuzzy stuff everywhere. And they STILL go in the corner - it's
just easier to clean up this way and it absorbs the liquid and keeps
the poop/pee from getting on their paws and in the bedding.

So - does ANYONE have any ideas on how to keep them from burrowing
in the pee pads/newspaper and/or pottying in the one corner? I would
really appreciate it. \

Happy Halloween to everyone!

Melissa

http://www.zazzle.com/china_cat84*

"Only a ferret can successfully steal your heart and keep you from
ever finding it again!" ~ Myself