From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:39:12 -0400
No. 421 was up early trying to beat the heat. It had been very hot
these last few days at the Bridge, and he was sitting on his porch
in the morning mists when he heard someone running up the path.

The mist cleared and the Receiving Angel was standing there, his wings
wet with dew, and instead of a ticket in his hand, he was holding a
very small ferret.

No. 421 jumped to his feet and looking at the Receiving Angel asked why
he had not been notified a new ferret was arriving. For the Receiving
Angel to leave his post and deliver not only the ticket but also the
ferret was almost unheard of.

"This one passed so fast and quiet, I did not have a chance to get the
paperwork done," the Receiving Angel said. "She is Dewey, the ferret
child of Granny, and hid her passing so Granny would not cry. When
Granny realized she was gone, she was already here. Just sign the
paper, I'll fill in the ticket later."

No. 421 made his "X" and took the little girl in his big paws and held
her close. She was so small, and she was holding a really big stuffed
mouse wrapped up in a red blanket.

"Hey Oliver, get up, we has guests," No. 421 said. And turning to
Dewey, he asked if she had family here.

The Receiving Angel shook the water from his wings and leaving Dewey
with No. 421, he turned and walked back down the path. He was glad No.
421 was dealing with this. He liked to do everything by the book. He
did not know how she slipped by the gatekeeper, but she did. That cute
little ferret came over so fast; she was standing in front of him
before he was ready.

Oliver came out rubbing his eyes, and smiled. He looked at Dewey, gosh,
she sure was a cutie.

In a very small voice, Dewey said, "I'm one of the Pressey ferrets, and
if you could find some of them for me, I'll be happy here. I know I
left suddenly, but I did not want my Granny to cry. It would have made
it very hard for me to leave her."

No. 421 dispatched Oliver to the Field of Dreams to find the Pressey
Mound. He arrived there just in time for breakfast.

After sharing a bowl of oatmeal with them, Oliver told them that Dewey
had arrived, and this was not the usual greeting. She had been
delivered to No. 421 by the Receiving Angel and was at home with him
now.

"Dewey's here," said one of the Pressey ferrets. "What are we waiting
for? Oliver, you ate with us, you are family now, clean up while we go
and see our sister."

The Pressey ferrets ran through the door and up to No. 421's cabin.
Oliver was left at the table with the all the pots and bowls.

While the happy clan raced to the top of the hill, dooking all the way,
Oliver began to stack the bowls.

"Hey Dewey, that you," one called. "Welcome to the Rainbow Bridge. You
can come and stay at our mound. You can wait here with us for Granny.
Come on, we need to catch up on what is happening on earth."

Dewey smiled and dooked, hugging each Pressey ferret in turn.

"Could I send a message home to Granny before I go," she asked? "I want
to tell her I'm sorry I had to leave so fast, but I could not bear to
see her cry. Tell her I'm happy here and I will wait for her with the
rest of the family. Oh and can I send some kisses on the dew that will
sparkle on the grass tomorrow morning?"

No. 421 told Dewey he would see that the Shooting Star delivered the
message and blanketed the grass with dew in the morning.

Dewey thanked No. 421 for finding her family, and gave him a big hug.
Then, dragging her red blanket and stuffed mouse, the group started off
for the Field of Dreams.

No. 421 watched as the happy family skipped away. He wished he had
someone like that. Being a breeder ferret on earth, he only had a
number, not a name, and didn't know where his family had gone.

Before he had time to feel to sorry for himself, a tired Oliver came
dragging up the hill.

"Boy, what a morning," he said. "I passed the Pressey crew dooking and
running down the hill. They are going to get some towels and head off
to the Otter Slide. Otter is away, so he will never know they used it.
I thought I might go, but after doing all those dishes, I'm bushed."

"Dishes," said No. 421? "I did all our dishes last night."

"Well, I rushed out without my breakfast so I ate with them," Oliver
said. "That made me family, so they said I had to do dishes."

No. 421 could not hide the smile in his eyes. He chuckled to himself
and wrote in his logbook; Mission accomplished. Dewey is here with her
family; message sent to Granny, dew kisses on the grass tomorrow. Then
he sat down and chuckled some more.