From:
debi sadowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:51:12 -0700
To ALL New Jersey Residents who own ferrets or are thinking of owning
a ferret:

If you have purchased a ferret from a New Jersey Pet Shop, a New
Jersey Ferret Breeder OR adopted a ferret from a New Jersey Ferret
Rescue/Shelter and you never recieved a temporary "Exotic Hobbiest"
permit (Pink slip), PLEASE do the following:

Contact Linda at New Jersey Department of Fish & Wildlife Permit Sector
in Hampton, New Jersey by calling: (908) 735-5450 and give the name,
adress & phone number of the Pet Shop, Ferret Breeder or Ferret
Rescue/Shelter and explain that you never recieved the temporary permit
or aplication packet from them. (At the end of the yar at time of
renual, we have to turn in the white copy of this temporay permit.) By
LAW through NJ Department of F&W these places MUST give out the proper
paper work. If they fail to do so and they are reported, they will be
slapped with a stiff fine.

This is what you need to do if you don't recieve the proper paperwork
from one of the places mentioned above "OR" you aquire a ferret from
out of state: Write to and request the Exotic Hobbiest Permit
application:

Division of Fish & Wildlife
Exotic & Nongame Wildlife Permits
P.O. Box 430
Trenton, New Jersey (Sorry, I don't remember the zip)
OR call and request it by dialing (609) 292-9591

[Moderator's note: ZIP is 08625]

You need to have and turn over your a current Exotic Hobbiest Permit
along with you ferret when surrendering to a New Jersey Ferret
Rescue/Shelter. We "legaly" cannot take a NJ ferret in with out it or
we will be fined. The permit is only $10 each year no matter how many
ferrets you have. Legittament New Jersey Ferret Breeders & Ferret
Rescues/Shelters pay $100 each year to NJ &FW Permit Sector to have
their special permit to sell or adopt ferrets no matter what state
the new owner lives in. You also must have this permit for some other
exotic animals but not limitted to, such as Sugar Glyders, Pygmy
Hedgehogs, Russian Dwarf Hamsters, etc, some species of birds-mainly
certain species of parrots, some species of reptiles and some species
of anphibians.

It would be helpfull if out of state ferret breeders & ferret
rescues/shelters would convey this information to a New Jersey resident
they sell or adopt a ferret to, BUT, it is the New Jersey resident's
resposiblity to KNOW the laws of their own state when it comes to
ferret & other exotic pet ownership.

The information is also listed about permits for ferrets on my website:
http://www.freewebs.com/fuzzyloving
on my page for "NJ F&W Permits for ferrets".

Please help us to help you when you are unable to keep your fuzzies.

Debi Fuzzy Loving Ferrets Rescue & Ferretry Senior LOS National Ferret
Judge