Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 May 2009 00:44:36 -0400
Recently, I re-watched "Saving Private Ryan" and a question occurred to
me: What would I do if we ever experienced what the people in Europe
experienced during those times? What if, during these uncertain times,
one had to evacuate and be prepared to travel light and fast (perhaps
not even being able to take one's car)? What would become of my small
pets? Dogs could probably travel with you and cats do pretty well on
their own, but ferrets, gerbils, rabbits, chinchillas, sugar gliders,
etc. who need so much equipment and special food and care?

I swear these questions keep me awake at night. What if you could not
bring your small specialty animals with you? What if you had very
little time to figure this out? So here is my real taboo question: is
there a way to painlessly, quickly, and effectively dispatch your small
specialty animals in such circumstances, rather than leave them to die
of exposure, thirst, starvation, etc.?

I know these questions are as morbid as they come, but I lost two hours
of sleep over them just last night. I just want to always be able to do
the best for my pets, even in the worst of times.

[EM]