From:
eri garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 2009 18:25:18 -0500
Hi gang~

On the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend, our little guy Indy
(affectionately known as "Tummy Fert") nearly choked to death on what
we're fairly sure was a piece of N-Bone. He stopoped breathing at least
twice as we performed the Heimlich on him and cleared out his throat,
and we got him to the vet just as they opened. We were able to bring
him home that weekend.

The road to healing has been a long, slow one. It took him almost two
weeks to finally eat solid food again. Last weekend we finally let him
loose at the same time as our other kids so that all could interact,
but he showed little interest (though he was already into sleeping
with one or more of them in the cage again). As of a few days ago, he
finally actually played with his sister, Pixie, though clearly he still
isn't feeling completely like his old self again..

Here are our current issues:
1. He apparently developed ulcers from the trauma, and has been
fighting nausea since his accident
2. He still cannot walk properly; he drags his belly, he flops around,
etc. He CAN walk to some extent -- but he doesn't. At least his back
legs seem to work okay, though he is a little challenged because our
floors are hardwood, and he's never been great at walking on them.

The vet started him out on Clavamox, I believe it was, and Pepcid
for the nausea. After ten days he hadn't improved, so we switched to
Metronidazole -- and that lasted a *day* -- he was so freaked out by
this med (gagging, choking, spitting it at me, fighting like I was
trying to pour acid into him, etc,) that the vet switched us to our
current Cefa Drops. He's now been on this med a week, and he still is
nauseated, still grinds his teeth, still can't walk. I haven't noticed
that any of the meds we've given him for nausea have helped much at
all, but I continue to give them to him just in case (and darned if I
can remember what I'm giving him now for the nausea...)

I had been exercising his hind legs, doing sort of PT with him -- but
he much prefers to climb through his 40' dryer tube unmolested. And,
when he's out and about, he actually goes from one room to the other,
explores, is curious, and so forth. I did not go the "aqua therapy"
route with him, because the little guy is mortally terrified of water.

I am heartened that he eats in spite of the nausea, drinks on his own,
his poops seem to be okay, and he gets a little more playful every few
days or so, but the continued nausea and inability to walk (which our
vet believes are tied together) are what bother me. Is there something
else that I should try? I plan to call the vet Monday to let him know
that Indy still is nauseated and such, and we already have an
appointment scheduled for Friday. I just feel like there is more that
I should be doing for our Tummy-boy -- or am I being too "mothering"
here?

~Eri in TX and her Texas Terrors: Indy, Pixie, Kitty, and Tucker

--
/\_/\
(>"<)