Date:
Tue, 26 May 2009 05:37:23 -0700
I just got home after a few weeks of actually working on a zooarchy
project which required extensive field work. I forgot how much I hate
sleeping on rocky ground. I can't discuss it for legal reasons, but I
can stay it was special.

I returned home to discover hundreds of new emails in the inbox. Ouch!
Some people seem to be frantic in trying to reach me. I will send at
least a short note to each one as soon as possible.

I have gleaned a dozen or so really good questions from the inbox which
I will try to answer on the FML over the next few weeks. My summer and
fall are extremely busy and I am not sure when or where I will be for
part of that time.

Some short answers:

a) my health is excellent. I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes,
but find myself extremely visually frustrated. I used to use 1 pair
of glasses to see distance, but now have to use 5 pairs to see up
close! ;-(

b) the grandkids are wonderful. I have found I have an overpowering
need to be around them as much as possible. It must be a virus and
I have it bad.

c) The ferrets are doing wonderful for the most part. Old man Popeye
is slowly slipping away and I expect to lose him at any time. The
remaining 7 are tops in health.

d) The work on the ferret project is progressing nicely. I still have
about a years worth of work and the USA visits to finish it. I think
I can do part of the work without any visits. I will be making a
questionnaire available in the next week for those who would like to
participate. Also, I will be starting a ferret project mailing list
soon so I don't have to slog through tons of emails. Anyone can join.

e) Yes, I still try to answer questions, but because of time
constraints, I have been forced into creating a triage system:
#1 Family needs,
#2 Work and earning money,
#3 Ferret Project,
#4 Friends (so very sorry -- just temporary), and
#5 Ferret Questions.

I haven't been past the 3rd level in months. ;(

f) I have lost nearly ALL contact information for most of my friends
when my hard drive failed last year while I was in New Zealand.
Please do not assume I know your phone numbers and addresses or email
addresses.

g) Yes, I still give ferret talks, but no, I haven't been accepting
many in the last year. I always try to make it to Columbus OH, Chicago
IL, and York PA every year (if they want me) and will likewise try this
year as well if wanted. However, this year has commitments that make it
so I simply cannot make a long-term promise to attend any show (except
perhaps York), so even if I agree, it would have to be provisional and
likely to be cancelled. 2010 will be much better and I plan to finish
the North American portion of the Ferret Project at that time. I hope
with all my heart that this does not upset or disappoint anyone. I love
visiting ferret people, so this hurts me more than you would know.

h) It is likely I will be in California for a short period after July
3rd. I will be driving to Missouri from the southern California area
at that time. I would be happy to stop for short talks and visits on
my way home if requested. Requests are first-come, first accepted.
Don't worry about your location as long as you are west of Missouri; I
haven't planned the return trip yet. I think I can work out some type
of travel plan if your request is timely.

Bob C [log in to unmask]