From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:27:47 EDT
Good Morning,

The essence of my previous posting was that I believe in people far
more than I would ever trust any agency of local, state, and federal
government. I work with these agencies on a regular basis and have
witnessed first-hand their ultimate power and the damage left in their
wake.

You know the saying, "I'm from the government and I am here to help
you." Yeah, ask the folks here in this area about how much FEMA
"helped" them following Katrina and Rita.....they'll tell you. Next
time, many if not all, of these people will probably say, thanks but
no thanks.

I was not arguing the law in NJ as it applies to ferrets or ownership
of any animal.

My disagreement was in lack of judgement. I believe that a trigger was
pulled way before facts were known and quite simply someone may have
overreacted.

Nothing good can be gained from acting on sheer rumor. You must uncover
the facts for yourself in whatever fashion is required. I use "spies"
and this works very well for me. Other people use other methods but
the result is the same, before any enforcement agency is called, every
possible solution is exhausted, leaving no choice in order to ensure
the safety of the ferret(s) involved. Some situations require immediate
response as in the case of the guys feeding the ferrets to the snakes.
I confronted the guy in question, taped the conversation which
Tennessee law allows me to do, he admitted to planning the match, and
then I called the police. Sometimes people just don't realize that they
are not taking care of their ferret(s) properly or what they are doing
or not doing is wrong and harms the ferret(s). Maybe its a money issue.
Again, ignorance is bliss but it can be deadly. Sometimes working with
people results in health, happy ferret(s) and a much more ferret-wise
mom and dad. And, sometimes people just don't want to do the right
thing or have cruel intentions. But if working with people to correct
the situation does not work, then you must make appropriate choices -
but you always give them what I call, a choice of last resort. Let them
tell me, no they won't cooperate and do what is right and I will then
tell them, you leave me no choice but to contact AC or whatever. As is
the case with the petting zoo business. She gave me no choice and now I
have filed a formal complaint with the USDA, the MS Health Department,
and with the local AC. At this point, I have lost control over the
situation and verily well understand the ramifications of my decision
to bring in these agencies. Up to 15 little lives are at stake here
and even though all know that I will be more than happy to receive
the ferrets should they be seized, I have absolutely no say-so in the
future of those ferrets now. And, I don't like that feeling....not
at all.

I gather the facts, approach the owner and offer assistance, and only
as a last resort or if I fear the ferret(s) is in immediate danger do I
contact any agency or enforcement authority. Once a governmental entity
enters into the equation, you loose control of the situation all
together and everyone is now bound by that agencies findings, their
rules, and, ultimately, you must accept whatever resolution might
follow. You better know what you are doing before any entity gets
involved because once they take control, nothing will stop them short
of a court order of injunction or an order of estoppel.

That is why I will always choose to see if I can resolve the problem
without "help." I agree, some people are not reasonable and nefarious
and simply refuse to do what is right and in those cases, you are left
with no choice but to bring in enforcement agencies.

But there are always consequences for doing this, always. And, perhaps,
not the end result you had hoped for.

No, you did not mention euthanasia, seizure, or that because of your
actions, she would be "in trouble." But you do not know what NJFGW will
do either! No you don't. You say you do...but you don't...and you now
have no opportunity to help "her" or help the ferrets in "her" care
because you involved the NJFGW and they now run the show and you did
all of this before you knew all of the facts.

I don't have to know the laws in your state to fully understand how
these agencies work. It is not always a matter of law that is the
paramount issue of all situations, but it is always what is in the best
interest of the ferrets and maybe intervention will not be in the best
interest of the ferrets. Maybe this lady just moved there, maybe she
is ignorant of the law, maybe she is short on cash .... whatever the
reason, just perhaps this should have been disclosed before NJFGW was
called. Just perhaps....

A little knowledge is dangerous...

We always prepare our clients for all outcomes. You can never know how
a judge or administrative agency will rule. No matter what the law or
the statute says or what the sentencing guidelines call for ... or what
the regs mandate, you just never, ever know what the outcome will be in
court or at any hearing. Administrative authorities and judges wield
ultimate power.

Just ask the people in California if their state government is
reasonable and can be trusted Go ahead, ask them! You cannot talk with
these people...I have tried. You cannot reason with fools and idiots.
Nothing makes sense and reason means nothing to them....all they
understand is their regs or what they perceive their mandates to be
and act on it. Good Lord! You cannot even get two people to agree on
the same issue in that agency. And, it is damn near impossible for
government to change ... or even admit they are wrong or even if they
are doing it wrong.

I do not trust government .. my belief still lies within people's
hearts. Well, most of the time.

Respectfully submitted,
Maren E. Doshier
Founder/President
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS