From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:34:04 -0400
In early August the CVM portion of the FDA and another portion realized
that they had a conflict over how much approval the deslorelin implant
imports needed. During that time I heard from some people, including
another FHL moderator that importing had gotten harder and more
limited.

Today I heard from another FHL Moderator that getting the implants is
now easier than ever according to her vet. It looks currently like the
prevailing line of thought goes along with the CVM portion of the FDA
that I heard from which felt that the implant technology should not
need a separate approval because deslorelin already had the 1998
approval for

<http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=141-044>
>for the entry in the Animal Drugs @ FDA database.

I do NOT know if the Peptech implant technology has a separate
approval in any other drug use. If it does that would have speeded
things along, too.

Right now it looks like the treating vets just need to get in touch
with Peptech:

Peptech Animal Health Pty. Limited
19 - 25 Khartoum Rd.
Macquarie Par, New South Wales, 2113
Australia

http://www.peptech.com/HTML/Animal_Health/Animal_Health.html

or it might help to contact the European distributor:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL9888

Tony includes:

<http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Virbac_Limited/Suprelorin_4_7_mg_implant_for_dogs/-48966.html>
>The current price in the UK is 49 UK pounds = 78 US for pack of
>2x 4.7 mg implants

Be sure to ask for ones that do not have a close expiration date since
in ferrets the length of time that deslorelin/Suprelorin (Use the dog
implant, I think, but check me on that.) may work in ferrets with
adrenal disease is something like 8 months to 18 months in studies.

Temporary chemical castration:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18439664

>Theriogenology. 2008 Jul 15;70(2):161-7. Epub 2008 Apr 25.
>Use of a gonadotropin releasing hormone agonist implant as an
>alternative for surgical castration in male ferrets (Mustela
>putorius furo).
>Schoemaker NJ, van Deijk R, Muijlaert B, Kik MJ, Kuijten AM, de Jong
>FH, Trigg TE, Kruitwagen CL, Mol JA.
>Department of Clinical Sciences of Companion Animals, Faculty
>of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, The Netherlands.
>
>Surgical castration in ferrets has been implicated as an etiological
>factor in the development of hyperadrenocorticism in this species
>due to a castration-related increase in plasma gonadotropins. In
>search for a suitable alternative, the effect of treatment with the
>depot GnRH-agonist implant, deslorelin, on plasma testosterone
>concentrations and concurrent testes size, spermatogenesis, and the
>typical musky odor of intact male ferrets was investigated. Twenty-
>one male ferrets, equally divided into three groups, were either
>surgically castrated, received a slow release deslorelin implant
>or received a placebo implant. Plasma FSH and testosterone
>concentrations, testis size and spermatogenesis were all suppressed
>after the use of the deslorelin implant. The musky odor in the ferrets
>which had received a deslorelin implant was less compared to the
>ferrets which were either surgically castrated or had received a
>placebo implant. These results indicate that the deslorelin implant
>effectively prevents reproduction and the musky odor of intact male
>ferrets and is therefore considered a suitable alternative for
>surgical castration in these animals.
>
>PMID: 1843966

Adrenal disease:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15934621

>Am J Vet Res. 2005 May;66(5):910-4.
>Clinical and endocrine responses to treatment with deslorelin acetate
>implants in ferrets with adrenocortical disease.
>Wagner RA, PichE CA, JOchle W, Oliver JW.
>Division of Laboratory Animal Resources, 3500 Terrace St, S1049 BST,
>University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA.
>
>OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the clinical and endocrine responses of ferrets
>with adrenocortical disease (ACD) to treatment with a slow- release
>implant of deslorelin acetate. ANIMALS: 15 ferrets with ACD.
>PROCEDURE: Ferrets were treated SC with a single slow-release, 3-mg
>implant of deslorelin acetate. Plasma estradiol, androstenedione, and
>17-hydroxyprogesterone concentrations were measured before and after
>treatment and at relapse of clinical signs; at that time, the adrenal
>glands were grossly or ultrasonographically measured and affected
>glands that were surgically removed were examined histologically.
>RESULTS: Compared with findings before deslorelin treatment,
>vulvar swelling, pruritus, sexual behaviors, and aggression were
>significantly decreased or eliminated within 14 days of implantation;
>hair regrowth was evident 4 to 6 weeks after treatment. Within 1 month
>of treatment, plasma hormone concentrations significantly decreased
>and remained decreased until clinical relapse. Mean time to recurrence
>of clinical signs was 13.7 +/- 3.5 months (range, 8.5 to 20.5 months).
>In 5 ferrets, large palpable tumors developed within 2 months of
>clinical relapse; 3 of these ferrets were euthanatized because of
>adrenal gland tumor metastasis to the liver or tumor necrosis.
>CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: In ferrets with ACD, a
>slow-release deslorelin implant appears promising as a treatment to
>temporarily eliminate clinical signs and decrease plasma steroid
>hormone concentrations. Deslorelin may not decrease adrenal tumor
>growth in some treated ferrets. Deslorelin implants may be useful in
>the long-term management of hormone-induced sequelae in ferrets with
>ACD and in treatment of animals that are considered at surgical or
>anesthetic risk.
>
>PMID: 15934621

and there are other studies in the Netherlands, the U.S., and either
Hungary or Poland, but my profuse apologies because I don't recall
which. (Right now I am under a lot of strain with a very ill
hospitalized niece so my memory is not totally functional from stress.
Thank goodness the other family members who were very ill are now doing
okay. It's been one person after another this year as well as sick
elder ferrets and Whizbang departed, but mostly things have worked
out okay...)

Anyway, this medication is related to Lupron, but longer lasting and
for those countries where it is easily gotten it is cheaper and may
well be cheaper for here, too, even with shipping.

According to Dr. Jerry Murray it can be used along with Melatonin
Implants http://www.melatek.net/

Since this class of meds and melatonin work in different ways there
is better effect by using both than either alone.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL5827
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL9686
I can't find the post I am looking for and don't have time to look
further so this will have to suffice and people can look further in
the separate FHL Archives for themselves.

Sukie (not a vet) (and glad about news just now received by Steve
that a friend is on the cover of a major horror movie magazine)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
http://www.miamiferret.org/