From:
Jay Terwilliger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:47:50 -0500
Greetings from Costa Rica!

Florence,

This doesn't directly answer your question, but it may be useful
information. I certainly don't consider myself to be a ferret expert,
but after having been sans ferrets for 11 years after having moved to
Costa Rica, just six weeks ago I finally received two adorable ferrets
(Timmy and Barklay) after more than a year of government red tape to be
able to import them. As it looks to me like your real problem is more
of a litter training issue than a hard wood floor issue, I thought my
experience might possibly be useful.

Although Barklay (who is a deaf champagne panda mitt) quickly took to
the litter box, Timmy (a sable mitt) seemed to go anywhere except. I
rearranged the room, put SIX different litter boxes in various places,
and yet he always went NEXT to one of the boxes. The same happened
whether he was in his very large cage or when he was out in the rest
of the house. As I have tile floors throughout the house, this was
not such a big issue for me as for you, but it was certainly annoying.
Although it was tedious, I finally decided to do a full day of direct
reinforcement. I shut myself into the play room the whole day,
dedicating myself to watching Barklay and Timmy. Every time Barklay
used the litter box I was very obvious about picking him up and giving
him special attention (I didn't give him treats, because so far nothing
except for his standard kibble seems to interest him).

Whenever Timmy came over and tried to climb up my leg or get my
attention I put him in the litter box. Also, whenever I say Timmy about
to pee or poop on the floor next to his box I quickly picked him up and
placed him in the litter box. As soon as he finished I would also pick
him up and give him lots of love and a bit of ferretvite which he
really likes as a treat.

Although it has only been three days since then, neither Timmy nor
Barklay have piddled outside of one of two litter boxes they like
since then. Of course, whenever I catch one of them using the litter
box, I still go overboard with showing affection. Seeing as how Timmy
previously NEVER used the liter box, I think this is a success story.
Of course, I did dedicate a whole day to the initial "training," but
it has made me so hapy that I don't regret it at all. I know it is
inevitable that ferrets will probably still have SOME accidents, this
might go a long way to saving your hard wood floors.

Regards,
Jay Terwilliger
Santa Ana, San Jose
Costa Rica