From:
Kelly Dowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2009 08:50:11 -0700
My furry kids got their own room close to two months ago. Our newly
built 4 bedroom, 1 office is now a 5 bedroom, no office because one of
my 3 teens decided to abandon their bedroom on the bottom floor for
the office on the main floor (maybe afraid of the dark, too cold, not
enough light...who knows why, its a teenager and nothing makes sense
when it comes to their decision-making). Anyhow, two months ago I
decided to use the bedroom that had been vacant for a number of months
as a ferret room. Up until that time they were confined to a very large
cage during the work day, let out for playtime between 6-10pm and then
caged during the night. I thought it would be very beneficial for them
to have a huge free roaming room so they could play and wander during
the day when I was not home and come out in the evenings. My husband
and I tore up the carpet and laid down linoleum and sealed all the
edges with water (and pee) proof caulking. I thought what a great way
to minimize ferrety smells. But much to my surprise it seems to smell
even more. So, I put down newspapers around litter pans and other
places they potty in and the result...it still stinks. I bathe the
ferrets every couple of weeks, wash their bedding weekly or more if
soiled, clean the pans and room nightly, yes nightly and the result...
it still stinks. Frustrated, two weeks ago I bought a Bissell Steam Mop
(love it!) to clean and sterilize their floor, washed the litter pans,
gave them a bath, crack the window every morning for fresh air to
circulate and the result...it still stinks!

Am I just imagining this or are they just smellier this time of year?
My family is complaining because we never really smelled them upstairs
in the cage and now its all we smell when we venture downstairs.

I read with interest Alexandra's email about ferrety "stench". I was
not aware there were certain times of the year when they smell stronger
and I have been a ferret owner since the early nineties...I know, I
should have known better, by now (smile). Please, please, tell me more.